Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you hang your ukulele?

Default Would you hang your ukulele?

Hi everyone,

What are your views on hanging your (most expensive) ukulele? I don't trust wall mounts but have the parachord ukulele hangers from ukulelehangers.com and am thinking about hanging mine from a metal bar I have in this little cubby like area in my bedroom...

All opinions welcome!

I'm a no guy. I'm comforted knowing mine are always safe in the protective (and more Rh stable) cocoon of their cases.
    Lanikai LU-21C concert - nato laminate (my starter uke!)
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I have some pretty sturdy ukes and don't hang any of them. Easy enough to uncase them to play.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

I have one of those paracord hangers on mine, and I hang it off of that at times, like when I'm gigging I hang it from my music stand, but it doesn't live that way. But mostly because I don't keep it out n display. I put it away when I'm not playing it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

NO all the way, but then I live in earthquake country in a house near the beach that gets really dusty since the windows are always open. I do have an old cheapie thrift-store guitar on a hanger, which I rarely play, but every time I take it down to play it I spend more time cleaning the dust off than actually playing!

“Would you hang your ukulele?”

Only if it was found guilty in a fair trial by a jury of its peers.

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    “Would you hang your ukulele?”

Only if it was found guilty in a fair trial by a jury of its peers.

Scooter
    Winner of the thread!

I'm anxious to hear opinions. I'm considering buying some wall hangers off etsy.

With as many ukes as I have, I cannot have them all out at once, and also it's a real pain for me to keep a few in cases, so I have a sort of rotation of the ones in play, and those get hung next to me on the wall. All of my ukes have self-made hangers on the tuning pegs (as well as straps, made from bootlaces, regardless of scale length).

I have no hesitation in hanging up my ukes. If I kept them on stands, or even one of those Hercules Christmas-tree things that holds 8 ukes, I simply do not have the floor space and find them inconvenient, so instead they hang on the wall on hooks.

I've never had a problem with earthquakes here in NJ LOL, and since I always wipe them down, both before and after playing, I dont have a dust buildup problem.

The ukes and guitars that are out of rotation are all in their cases, and in a closet, that is dedicated for their storage when not being played.

Would that I could to build a humidor like kohanmike, but that is a long-away future project. With such a humidor/display case, I'd have no problem keeping more of the ukes at arms length in my office/studio room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    ...I often wonder what the big deal is when I see a question like this. It looks like a new person has been told some stupid information; "Don't hang your ukes up in the house, they might get ...........". ...
    I too abhor the fact that too often beginners are fed with misinformation, and have decided that it must be an act of malicious ignorance from an employee who is a heavy-metal guitarist giving advice to insure that the newbie has a bad time in the hope that they too will become 'guitarded' just like them, instead of discovering something wonderful for themselves that may not be as mainstream as guitar.

However, I am glad that the community on UU and elsewhere that has experienced folks are available to offer advice.

If you value you sanity, or want to have a nice day, do NOT go and spend time reading the replies to newbie questions on reddit's ukulele section, for 99% of the time, the advice given is just parroted over and again from other beginners or from folks who are willfully trying to sabotage a newbie, maybe out of jealousy and incompetence.

I have tried to offer help there over on reddit, but I cannot stem the tide of willful and malicious ignorance. Mind you, this is not a matter of having a different opinion, but I've seen advice given with full confidence of the giver, that if followed would cause permanent physical harm and/or ruin an ukulele completely.

I gave up on trying to fight the stupid. Someone here on the forum had the following in their signature:

"You cannot reason with someone who does not rely on reason."
    Last edited by Booli; 08-20-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typos

I hang four on the wall and three racked on the floor next to my "Play Station" computer chair. I play five most every day and the other's a few times a week. The only one I really worry about is my Cedar and Rosewood Ohana, but I keep it out so I can play it.

Thread Information