Would you hang your ukulele?

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What are your views on hanging your (most expensive) ukulele? I don't trust wall mounts but have the parachord ukulele hangers from ukulelehangers.com and am thinking about hanging mine from a metal bar I have in this little cubby like area in my bedroom...

All opinions welcome!

I'm a no guy. I'm comforted knowing mine are always safe in the protective (and more Rh stable) cocoon of their cases.

I have some pretty sturdy ukes and don't hang any of them. Easy enough to uncase them to play.

I have one of those paracord hangers on mine, and I hang it off of that at times, like when I'm gigging I hang it from my music stand, but it doesn't live that way. But mostly because I don't keep it out n display. I put it away when I'm not playing it.

NO all the way, but then I live in earthquake country in a house near the beach that gets really dusty since the windows are always open. I do have an old cheapie thrift-store guitar on a hanger, which I rarely play, but every time I take it down to play it I spend more time cleaning the dust off than actually playing!

“Would you hang your ukulele?”

Only if it was found guilty in a fair trial by a jury of its peers.

Scooter

“Would you hang your ukulele?”

Only if it was found guilty in a fair trial by a jury of its peers.

Scooter
Winner of the thread!

I'm anxious to hear opinions. I'm considering buying some wall hangers off etsy.

With as many ukes as I have, I cannot have them all out at once, and also it's a real pain for me to keep a few in cases, so I have a sort of rotation of the ones in play, and those get hung next to me on the wall. All of my ukes have self-made hangers on the tuning pegs (as well as straps, made from bootlaces, regardless of scale length).

I have no hesitation in hanging up my ukes. If I kept them on stands, or even one of those Hercules Christmas-tree things that holds 8 ukes, I simply do not have the floor space and find them inconvenient, so instead they hang on the wall on hooks.

I've never had a problem with earthquakes here in NJ LOL, and since I always wipe them down, both before and after playing, I dont have a dust buildup problem.

The ukes and guitars that are out of rotation are all in their cases, and in a closet, that is dedicated for their storage when not being played.

Would that I could to build a humidor like kohanmike, but that is a long-away future project. With such a humidor/display case, I'd have no problem keeping more of the ukes at arms length in my office/studio room.

...I often wonder what the big deal is when I see a question like this. It looks like a new person has been told some stupid information; "Don't hang your ukes up in the house, they might get ...........". ...

I too abhor the fact that too often beginners are fed with misinformation, and have decided that it must be an act of malicious ignorance from an employee who is a heavy-metal guitarist giving advice to insure that the newbie has a bad time in the hope that they too will become 'guitarded' just like them, instead of discovering something wonderful for themselves that may not be as mainstream as guitar.

However, I am glad that the community on UU and elsewhere that has experienced folks are available to offer advice.

If you value you sanity, or want to have a nice day, do NOT go and spend time reading the replies to newbie questions on reddit's ukulele section, for 99% of the time, the advice given is just parroted over and again from other beginners or from folks who are willfully trying to sabotage a newbie, maybe out of jealousy and incompetence.

I have tried to offer help there over on reddit, but I cannot stem the tide of willful and malicious ignorance. Mind you, this is not a matter of having a different opinion, but I've seen advice given with full confidence of the giver, that if followed would cause permanent physical harm and/or ruin an ukulele completely.

I gave up on trying to fight the stupid. Someone here on the forum had the following in their signature:

"You cannot reason with someone who does not rely on reason."

Last edited:
I hang four on the wall and three racked on the floor next to my "Play Station" computer chair. I play five most every day and the other's a few times a week. The only one I really worry about is my Cedar and Rosewood Ohana, but I keep it out so I can play it.

Four of my ukuleles (plus several guitars, a couple of mandolins, a banjo, a balalaika and a couple of dulcimers) all hang on cup hooks screwed into the wall using my homemade version of a paracord hanger. My bass guitar and the banjo are really quite heavy and I don't have an issue with them in this configuration, the ukuleles don't even get thought about.

The weak spot, if there is one, is the 1" screw into the plug in the brickwork. Anything heavy enough to rip that out is likely to be too heavy to lift up there in the first place!

Four of my ukuleles (plus several guitars, a couple of mandolins, a banjo, a balalaika and a couple of dulcimers) all hang on cup hooks screwed into the wall using my homemade version of a paracord hanger. My bass guitar and the banjo are really quite heavy and I don't have an issue with them in this configuration, the ukuleles don't even get thought about.

The weak spot, if there is one, is the 1" screw into the plug in the brickwork. Anything heavy enough to rip that out is likely to be too heavy to lift up there in the first place!

Totally agree. Walk into the best Guitar shop in town and notice all the instruments are hanging. The 12th Fret in Toronto regularly has vintage Martins and Gibsons worth over $10,000 hanging on hooks. It think hanging a uke is just fine!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree. Walk into the best Guitar shop in town and notice all the instruments are hanging. The 12th Fret in Toronto regularly has vintage Martins and Gibsons worth over $10,000 hanging on hooks. It think hanging a uke is just fine!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and keep in mind that most ukes weigh maybe 2 lbs or less, while most electric guitars and bass guitars are 6+ lbs, so weight should not be an issue in hanging a uke.

I have always hung all my ukes and guitars, on "string thing" adjustable hooks on my walls. When I lived in Jersey, it was just solid body electrics but now we have a uke family and acoustic guitars but we spend our time either in super humid south Florida or central coast Cali right on the ocean. If I lived in an area where I had to concern myself w/ temp, humidity or other environmental issues, I might think differently. I like having them out to grab in an instant, whenever the mood strikes. My instruments range in value from $50-1000. I guess if I had something super expensive I might think differently, but I doubt it.

Most of our stringed instruments hang.
The most expensive is a Mid Missouri Mandolin> Its one of his top of the line models with all the trimmings.
We are very fortunate to live in an area of coastal southern California where the humidity is 40-60% most of the time.
No air conditioning or heating in our house.

We are super aware of Santa Ana winds which blow out of the Mojave desert and can go to zero humidity in minutes!
CASE THE INSTRUMENTS!!!!!!

On the bright side, Santa Ana's also mean epic off shore winds which make for great surfing, if there is a swell.

See my avatar, all hanging on leather straps on the tuners from brass screws with hooks inside a humid control cabinet.

Wow, a MASSIVE THANKS to everyone for your opinions and advice, I really appreciate it and I'm totally just going to do what is best for me and my playing and not worry too much but enjoy �� this community is great!

Yes, I agree with just about everything said here, unless there is a danger to your uke from the environment, just do what you like, it's all good. :)

We hang everything securely on a wall in the family room and some going into the living room. All are on either the Uke or guitar thingies. Have a couple of neat surfboard designs for the living room. We live in earthquake area at the beach. If they weren't hanging, they wouldn't get played. All are high end but we appreciate them and when we can no longer play them who will. We have 10 in one room and play them enough that they aren't that dusty. (That's what our swifter's for) Do what works for you so they get played. Oh yes, we hang the Ohana bass but the big Upright gets it's own spot on a stand.

Top Bottom