Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Manuel Nunes ukulele

Default Wanted - Manuel Nunes ukulele

Aloha. I own a small tiki bar in Madeira Island called Pukiki. As you all know Madeira is where Manuel Nunes was from. My bar celebrates the historical link between Madeira and Hawaii and I'd love to bring a Nunes ukulele back home to have on display to the public. Condition is not really an issue because it will be display only. If anyone has any for sale please get in touch.
    Mahalo,
    Carla

Good luck Carla, they are hard to come by. I am hoping to find one myself one day. I have an early ukulele made before 1900 which has elements from M. Nunes and Santo but can't be conclusively attributed to either. Not much is known about Nunes's history in Madeira (at least in ukulele world). I don't know much more than that he was a cabinetmaker before he left for Hawaii. Do you have any information you can share about his, or Santo or Dias's history and lives in Madeira?

There was one in a local thrift shop a while back, I'll check and see if it's still there...it was in pretty bad shape.
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...ighlight=nunes
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Shawn has a Leonardo Nunes uke for sale

http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/leonar...tenor-ukulele/

or you can try to contact Kilin at www.krstrings.com
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Danno, if you see it is still there, please connect with me. I have been hoping to find one for about 6 years. I don't have the big bucks that many of the big collectors have because I work in mental health but I'd jump at one that is in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintageukes View Post
    Danno, if you see it is still there, please connect with me. I have been hoping to find one for about 6 years. I don't have the big bucks that many of the big collectors have because I work in mental health but I'd jump at one that is in rough shape.
    I'll be down by there this afternoon, I'll try to remember to check...

I went by there and it was gone.
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 09-01-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

This is a neat idea. Just a suggestion: perhaps for your purpose, a replica would do? They are much cheaper and easier to come by. I suppose you could even add some playware, stains and patina to make it look older. Not to produce a fake, you should clearly label it as a replica, but it might be enough to show your customers what an early Ukulele looked like. I think Ohana and Anuenue make affordable Nunes/Dias inspired replicas, and then there are contemporary custom makers like William King, Glyph, and Kunihiro Matsui who have picked up such early design elements.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - John Kinnard - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - Toby Chennell - and others

I have a Manuel and Leonardo, his sons uke sounds better
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Check this one out n- https://reverb.com/item/6396283-m-nu...ulele-1917-koa
    I was tempted!
    Ian
    Martin c. 1934
    Martin OXK
    Kamaka pineapple gold label
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany
    Bruko concert - cedar and rosewood
    Mele, Braddah tenor
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s
    Gibson tenor Jr banjo strung as baritone - 1924

Koa Soprano from Leonardo Nunes available from Japan ($1200 USD):