Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted - Manuel Nunes ukulele

Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Aloha everyone! Thanks so much for all your replies. After a lot of research I have managed to get my hands on both a Leonardo Nunes and a Manuel Nunes! I received the Manuel Nunes one today and made a quick video with them side by side! As far as we know, this is the only Manuel Nunes ukulele to have found its way home to Madeira. Soon to be on display at our little tiki bar Pukiki with the history of the origin of the ukulele. A Portuguese gift to Hawaii!
    Here's a link to the video:

https://www.facebook.com/pukikibar/

We'll be adding some pictures and a lot more information and history of the machete and ukulele to our facebook and website soon! If any of you are ever in Madeira come and say aloha!

Mahalo,
    Carla

Aloha,

Can anybody out there help me date this Manuel Nunes ukulele?

manuelnunesuke.jpg

Default M. Nunes & Sons

a1.jpga7.jpg2014-05-19_15-06-31_627-1.jpgDSCN0545.jpg
    This is an M. Nunes & Sons that is either refurbished or kept pristine over the years. I can trace it back to Hawaii in 1942. It was purchased by a musician couple who in later life moved to Florida where I purchased it from their estate. I'll take $1000 plus shipping for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pukiki View Post
    Aloha,

Can anybody out there help me date this Manuel Nunes ukulele?

manuelnunesuke.jpg
    Looks like the tuners have been lovingly hand carved with a knife by someone later in its life.

Manuel Nunes claim to be “the inventor of the ukulele” first surfaced in 1909 around the time the company name “M.Nunes and Sons” was used by him - thats out of Jim Tranquada and John King’s ukulele history book (a must have for the uke crazy) they also state that M. Nunes stopped making ukulele’s in 1917. His Son Leonardo started to compete with his Father on the mainland from 1912 and by 1915 his instruments where distributed nationally again in competition wih his Dad.

Here is a link for the Grinnell Brothers Music House where the ukulele was distributed from.

http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...s-music-house/

And the Family page

http://www.grinnellfamily.org/index....lore&Itemid=97

between 1912 and 1917 would be my guess.
    Last edited by chefuke; 10-25-2017 at 10:47 PM.

I saw a Leonardo Nunes Uke in the Strum Shop in Roseville a few weeks ago. They were asking $400 for it. I'd post the pix but I can't get them to post>?
    Last edited by JackLuis; 10-25-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Thread Information