Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone teach me the ukulele?

Default Can anyone teach me the ukulele?

Feeling discouraged while trying to learn. 😥 I was wondering if anyone here would be able to teach me? Using Skype or ooVoo or any video chat? I just don't have the money for a real teacher and I cannot teach myself. I won't be able to pay you and please be okay with this. PM me if interested

hey there! have you got any books about learning uke? when i bought my first uke, i also bought a clip on tuner, and "ukulele for dummies" - i think it's a great book, it's quite funny, there is no padding, it's all good and handy info. you have to be patient with yourself, and not try and go too fast. get the hang of the c chord. strum that a bit. strum it a lot. get the hang of the f chord. and the g chord. once i got those three i was so pleased with the uke and how it sounded, i shut the book and went off and just strummed and strummed and was delighted with the whole thing! find what songs you love that have easy chords, and try playing them. i kept the book for reference, but once i had those few chords, i started making up silly little songs of my own, then i discovered the seasons here on ukulele underground - weekly uke challenges, doing songs that fit a new theme each week - and i started doing covers, and that way you learn lots of new chords! ultimate guitar is great website for finding chords to songs you love, you can also just google the song title and "chords" and see what there is. or google "easy songs, 2 chords" or "easy songs, 3 chords" and see what comes up. it's very satisfying to be able to get a song going with just 2 or 3 easy chords. the seasons weekly challenges are for players of any standard, we have some really amazing people there, and also beginners, you can get alot of encouragement and advice there when you are just starting out, and it's fun

i can't strum properly, and i never learnt the right way to play the tricky e chord, but i have a lot of fun playing uke my way! and there are other ways to play that tricky e chord! if you take things very slowly, and play a bit every day, you will get there. once you get a few chords going, playing uke will be so addictive, the big challenge will be how to leave it alone!

The biggest reason newbies get discouraged is they try to do too much too soon. Even though you hear that the uke is "easy to play," it's still a musical instrument and takes time. Bird's Eye is right, take it slow, start with just those three chords, many, many songs are based on the chords, play one song, get comfortable with it, then go on to another. Give yourself a few weeks, not a few days.

Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Learn how to fret single notes and intervals in quick succession on the higher frets on a soprano accurately and clearly tonewise.
    Start slow and really figure it out.
    It'll really open up uke to you and increase your ceiling.
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350

Definately don't give up, the uke is a fun instrument to mess around with, I can't really strum & sing, & I've been messing around here for almost two years now, but I enjoy myself, & the others let me join in with them.

There are some seriously good players & singers on these forums, but there are a lot like me who just enjoy ourselves, come & be one of us, you'll find us in the Seasons threads.
    Feel free to take a look at my YT uke channel to see how bad I was when I started, it's one of the reasons I put it there, to show newbies that you will improve, it just takes a little bit of time & some practicing.

Here's my very first one - I'm not ashamed of it because I had to start somewhere, & this is where.

Edit: We can give you pointers to get you going, as said above, learn 3 chords, practice changing between them, pick a simple song that uses them, practice it, record yourself, (keep the recording), practice some more, record yourself again after a week or two, see how much you have improved by looking at the first recording.
    Last edited by uke1950; 08-22-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

If you learn better watching, rather than reading, you might like these free online lessons by Justin Guitar. https://www.justinguitar.com/en/UK-0...eleLessons.php. His free guitar lessons are frequently recommended and now he has ukelele ones as well. If his style doesn't suit, there are many, many others. Have fun exploring a little and find what's right for you.

I would simply ask what your current strategies are for learning. Are you trying to play out of a book? From YouTube videos? From a DVD?

And better yet, what are you trying to learn? Chords? Chord melody? Fingerstyle?

There are a ton of free resources out there that can help, even before paid lessons. Let us know what you are doing, and then we can all give you additional ideas.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Admittedly Ukulele Boot Camp could be hard-going for newbies, but
    check it out (in my signature below) and simply work on only the
    first line of any Practice Sheet you choose. [my suggested order is
    key of C, key of F, key of G, key of A and key of D]

anyway, it's FREE and there for you to use any way you want.

keep uke'in' and find a group/song circle if you can
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday Songbook & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    hey there! have you got any books about learning uke? when i bought my first uke, i also bought a clip on tuner, and "ukulele for dummies" - i think it's a great book, it's quite funny, there is no padding, it's all good and handy info. you have to be patient with yourself, and not try and go too fast. get the hang of the c chord. strum that a bit. strum it a lot. get the hang of the f chord. and the g chord. once i got those three i was so pleased with the uke and how it sounded, i shut the book and went off and just strummed and strummed and was delighted with the whole thing! find what songs you love that have easy chords, and try playing them. i kept the book for reference, but once i had those few chords, i started making up silly little songs of my own, then i discovered the seasons here on ukulele underground - weekly uke challenges, doing songs that fit a new theme each week - and i started doing covers, and that way you learn lots of new chords! ultimate guitar is great website for finding chords to songs you love, you can also just google the song title and "chords" and see what there is. or google "easy songs, 2 chords" or "easy songs, 3 chords" and see what comes up. it's very satisfying to be able to get a song going with just 2 or 3 easy chords. the seasons weekly challenges are for players of any standard, we have some really amazing people there, and also beginners, you can get alot of encouragement and advice there when you are just starting out, and it's fun

i can't strum properly, and i never learnt the right way to play the tricky e chord, but i have a lot of fun playing uke my way! and there are other ways to play that tricky e chord! if you take things very slowly, and play a bit every day, you will get there. once you get a few chords going, playing uke will be so addictive, the big challenge will be how to leave it alone!
    Thank you. This is motivating! ☺

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    The biggest reason newbies get discouraged is they try to do too much too soon. Even though you hear that the uke is "easy to play," it's still a musical instrument and takes time. Bird's Eye is right, take it slow, start with just those three chords, many, many songs are based on the chords, play one song, get comfortable with it, then go on to another. Give yourself a few weeks, not a few days.
    Yes I was feeling really sad when I posted this thread. But I have set specific goals for myself now and I am feeling better. I am going to practice over the next several months. ☺

Thread Information