Can anyone teach me the ukulele?

I'm a beginner (although I have some guitar background) so I can't really reach you, but if you want we can share our progress and motivate each other.

I found a few articles and PDFs online to read. I want to get a book and DVD soon though. I have decided to start with notes , then chords, then strumming, then songs.

Your deciding approach is a good one. I would suggest getting Hal Leonard ukulele Book 1. https://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-...40&sr=8-1&keywords=hal+leonard+book+1+ukulele

I have been using it to teach my G-kids. It is a great way to learn especially if you want to learn to read notes and or tab first. This book starts with notes on the C string, then the E string teaching whole notes, half notes and quarter notes giving you four songs to play. Then on to the A string introducing pick up notes and dotted notes etc. The book is nearly 50 pages and it finally introduces chords half way through the book. It is easy to understand and apply on your own.
If you have been trying to apply this method of learning already then you need to be patient with yourself. Don't get frustrated with this slower yet more complete way of learning. It takes time to learn to read music and tab but in the end you will be a more well rounded player.

Now having said that, if your wanting to quickly crank out songs while you sing, then learning how to chord is a much faster approach for that method.
My own experience is that I learned chording first and eventually felt frustrated with myself for not knowing how to play better because I didn't have the ability to throw in even a few single notes to brighten up a song. I feel like I learned (self taught) backwards. There isn't anything wrong with just knowing how to chord and strum a simple song but for me I wish I had learned the way you want to learn.

I too highly recommend joining in with the seasons. It gives you a challenge every week and that in itself is much like free weekly lessons. The encouragement builds you up and helps you continue wanting to learn :)

My own experience is that I learned chording first and eventually felt frustrated with myself for not knowing how to play better because I didn't have the ability to throw in even a few single notes to brighten up a song. I feel like I learned (self taught) backwards. There isn't anything wrong with just knowing how to chord and strum a simple song but for me I wish I had learned the way you want to learn.

I would just encourage you to accept how you learned; there isn't one path that leads through the forest--there are many. Playing chords first is perfectly acceptable and leads to immediate enjoyment. After all, even the earliest ukulele method was chord first (Ernest Kaai). What matters is that you were hooked and later decided to add to your knowledge because there was more that you wanted to do. I'm right there with you.

At any rate, if someone wants to learn notes and melodies first--go for it. I understand why you would do it. But it is less gratifying than the satisfaction of the first C chord seconds after picking up a ukulele.

And as long as we're all still growing, that is all that matters.

Top Bottom