Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone teach me the ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by Debussychopin View Post
    Learn how to fret single notes and intervals in quick succession on the higher frets on a soprano accurately and clearly tonewise.
    Start slow and really figure it out.
    It'll really open up uke to you and increase your ceiling.
    Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I would simply ask what your current strategies are for learning. Are you trying to play out of a book? From YouTube videos? From a DVD?

And better yet, what are you trying to learn? Chords? Chord melody? Fingerstyle?

There are a ton of free resources out there that can help, even before paid lessons. Let us know what you are doing, and then we can all give you additional ideas.
    I found a few articles and PDFs online to read. I want to get a book and DVD soon though. I have decided to start with notes , then chords, then strumming, then songs.

Only practice for 15-30mins sessions at first, no longer, but you can practice several times a day, with this method you will improve quicker than trying to cram a lot all at once.

We know you will succeed.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Thanks I will definitely join the Seasons. I will watch your channel too! Thank you very much ☺

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Definately don't give up, the uke is a fun instrument to mess around with, I can't really strum & sing, & I've been messing around here for almost two years now, but I enjoy myself, & the others let me join in with them.

There are some seriously good players & singers on these forums, but there are a lot like me who just enjoy ourselves, come & be one of us, you'll find us in the Seasons threads.
    Feel free to take a look at my YT uke channel to see how bad I was when I started, it's one of the reasons I put it there, to show newbies that you will improve, it just takes a little bit of time & some practicing.

Here's my very first one - I'm not ashamed of it because I had to start somewhere, & this is where.

Edit: We can give you pointers to get you going, as said above, learn 3 chords, practice changing between them, pick a simple song that uses them, practice it, record yourself, (keep the recording), practice some more, record yourself again after a week or two, see how much you have improved by looking at the first recording.

Quote Originally Posted by uke1950 View Post
    Only practice for 15-30mins sessions at first, no longer, but you can practice several times a day, with this method you will improve quicker than trying to cram a lot all at once.

We know you will succeed.
    You are so nice! I sent you a friend request. ☺

Look for a class somewhere near you. I find beginners learn in a group setting faster.
    I run a ukulele group and beginners are always welcomed. We all started somewhere.
    My friends all think I am a good player, but very few of them know how hard I work at it.
    Keep Strummin'

Well, if you can't afford a "real" teacher.....ahem....I guess we'll do? LOL
    Sailing Uke is right, try that. Many cities, like ours, now have beginner workshops done by ukulele clubs in public libraries. It's worth checking in to!
    Good luck!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I'd go to uke Republic ukulele store, Mike and donna are good people and will help you
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

I was going to say this too.
    ukerepublic.com
    They're outside of Atlanta but could get you pointed in the right direction. It's really helpful to see others in person (I found this out later in my journey as I just wanted to learn by myself solo). I, like you, started with just the internet and practiced probably 30-ish minutes a day.

Like others have said, check out Uncle Rod's Bootcamp and just hit the first row of each sheet. Get those handful of chords down and bam, you have probably 85% of the chords you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    I'd go to uke Republic ukulele store, Mike and donna are good people and will help you
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

How long have you been playing?

I know playing covers, other people's music seems to be the norm, but I personally just started learning chords, then I just put them together and created my own.

Have you ever though about this, or maybe you have, but I can say it's really inspiring, realizing, if you just spend time on this, before you know it, you've made your own songs!

Be positive, you can do it, I did it with very little experience as a player...

Thread Information