Kala Transit Semi-Rigid Case for Tenor Firefly Banjo Uke

besley

Reaction score
When I bought my Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjo Uke recently the only case available was just a padded sleeve for $59, so I've been looking for something that would provide better protection for the exposed bridge and banjo head. The hard banjo uke cases one can find are all made for an 8" pot, while the outside dimension of the Firefly Tenor is just under 10", making things a challenge.

I noticed last week on Uke Republic that Kala had just come out with a semi-rigid foam case for about $40 that looked as if it might work, especially since it did not have a traditional double bout shape molded into the sides. So I ordered a Tenor size, and it came in today. The fit is a little tight around the pot, and does require a bit of effort to close the zipper. But that actually works out quite well, since it holds the pot quite tightly as a result, and keeps it from moving around and placing any pressure on the banjo head. It's a keeper.

http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/product/kala-tsub-transit-series-black-semi-rigid-case

But I'm not sure I would recommend this case for a uke unless yours has a fairly shallow body. I tried it with my Farallon and with its 3" deep body there isn't any room to close the lid without putting a fair amount of pressure on the bridge and top. Still, a pretty nice case.

Attachments

• Kala Case 2.jpg
    Kala Case 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Kala Case 3.jpg
    Kala Case 3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful review. I had seen these on Uke Repuplic and they are super impressive for the price. Thick padding, a neck block, excellent handle, big exterior pocket, seems like a winner. The Farallon can be an issue with most cases because of it's depth and width as you mentioned. For most normal sized ukes these look great, too bad shipping to Canada is as much or more then the case itself.

Good to know as banjolele's are always difficult to find cases for. Thanks for posting pics!

Top Bottom