Hello from North West England

Selmer

Reaction score
Hello everybody, and hope you don't mind my browsing your forums occasionally.

I'm 49 and mostly played guitar on and off since my teens, firstly electric, and then as I became older a bit of finger style, Dobro, Banjo, Steel, etc, and about 8 years ago, I completely lost interest, and stopped (long story).

So, being a bit of a tech, I spent some time buying old beat up guitars, and restoring them, in the hope that my interest in playing would return, but sadly, it never did, and I just ended up with a gazillion guitars sat gathering dust.

I'd had Ukuleles that I'd never looked at twice. One an old George Formby Ukulele Banjo, which I'd had as a kid that was my Grandads, and an old solid wood Sweetone both from around the 60's, and restored both out of curiosity.

Then I saw a Kala Tenor KA-FMTE-C for sale that had a bit of damage, and thought "I could fix that" so I contacted what turned out to be a wonderful guy, and he wanted decent money for it. When you have so many guitars, they become currency, so I offered him a choice of several, and he accepted, and that was how I became a Ukulele player.

I started by downloading PDF's of old 1920's & 30's songs, and various Jazz standards, and enjoyed the chord movement a lot, so the next step was to try and play the thing like a Ukulele, not a guitar, so I jumped on to Youtube, and studied how to play various right hand techniques.

I'm still not completely hooked, as I run my own website, which takes up my time, but my Uke is sat next to me during the day, and it gets picked up quite a lot, especially of a night time when the family is in bed.

The important thing is that it's got me playing 'something' again, which has to be a good thing, but I'm still to overcome the lost interest, so it's an occasional thing, as opposed to the many hours a day I used to practise years ago.

The hardest part was not having bass strings, as you'd think having 4, instead of 6, would be easier, but it was actually harder, as it took me completely out of my comfort zone, as did the octave string, and the '5 frets up' but over time, I've managed to get my head around it, and have been able to apply a lot of guitar knowledge once I realised it was the same. Bit of a sore knuckle on my Index finger from bad strumming technique, but other than that I'm enjoying it a lot.

Bottom line is it just makes me happy when I play it.

On the guitar, I was always pushing myself to be better, which gets a bit exhausting after a while, and at some point you have to go with what you have as life is too short, but with the Uke, I don't feel any of that. It doesn't take up much space either which is handy.

I need to stop buying them though, as I can get a bit obsessive and spend more time looking for them on Ebay than I do playing them, which has to stop ha ha. I've about 6 at the last count, but the Kala is my favourite.

I won't be on here 'a lot' but hope it's ok to jump on now and then, and embrace something a bit different, that is the amazing Ukulele.

Hope my waffling hasn't bored you, and speak again soon hopefully.

hello! and welcome to ukulele underground! have you got a baritone uke? you defo need one of those! or maybe ten of those! ;)

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us! We're such a wonderful group of people you may find yourself on here more than you thought.....LOL

PS: The "acquisition syndrome" usually doesn't go away, just the name of the instrument in front of it :music:

Welcome aboard. :)

Lots of ex guitar players are on here, the uke just makes life enjoyable - & as for collecting a few of them, that's nothing unusual, as you will see when you look around the forum. ;)

hello! and welcome to ukulele underground! have you got a baritone uke? you defo need one of those! or maybe ten of those! ;)

Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us! We're such a wonderful group of people you may find yourself on here more than you thought.....LOL

PS: The "acquisition syndrome" usually doesn't go away, just the name of the instrument in front of it :music:

Welcome aboard.

Lots of ex guitar players are on here, the uke just makes life enjoyable - & as for collecting a few of them, that's nothing unusual, as you will see when you look around the forum. ;)

Thanks for the reply people.

Yeah, the gas has to stop. It was like that with the guitar, and I reckon if I counted up I'd probably have 30 or 40 instruments which is a bit obsessive, but each one has it's own little story, and it's only one per year, per playing time, but try explaining that to the wife ha ha.

I've done the forum thing before years ago with the guitar, and I reckon if I was to guess, a Ukulele forum would be exactly the same type of thing, with a different twist, so I know how addictive they can get.

What I will say though, is that if I could get the time back, I'd have spent more time playing, and less time typing, so if that's not good advice to anybody I don't know what is ha ha. :D

I'd like to find the inspiration to start playing again, and hoping the Ukulele will ignite something.

If it doesn't, I'm at least getting pleasure being able to play some old tunes that used to be overly complicated on 6 strings, so that in itself is a great reason to play the Ukulele.

PS... Birdseye, nah. The Baritone is probably great for somebody as a first instrument, but it wouldn't be much fun for an old guitarist. I think the next adventure would be a Tenor guitar, as never tried one of those.

I enjoyed your introduction… Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to UU - hello from sunny Arizona. Thank you for your intro. I hope you stick with it - sounds like you've got the UAS bug

Great first post!
Welcome to the forum.

Hello from a fellow Brit!

Welcome from York. Great first post, but the most important bit was..."Bottom line is it just makes me happy when I play it."...

See you around!

Thanks for the friendly replies ......... Each one read and appreciated.

Top Bottom