Hello, from Michigan! (with a question...)

brianodell

Reaction score
Finally received my first ukulele over the weekend and I'm already hooked! (I've been playing guitar on-and-off for years.) I went with an Ohana TK-70 R (tenor) and got it from Mike over at Uke Republic. I am extremely happy about the experience I had with Mike / Uke Republic, and the instrument itself is really nice! Exceeded my expectations, for sure!

I'm already in the market for a cheaper uke to lug around and take everywhere. My son has taken an interest in mine already, so I wanted to grab something we could both play. I'm torn on the following "cheaper" models, and was looking for some suggestions: (There's so much info on the internet that I've been in research overload)

Kala KA-15S
Kala KA-S
Ohana SK-10s
Makala Dolphin

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And I look forward to being a member of this awesome community!

Brian, from Michigan.

What is your definition of "cheaper"? That can help guide recommendations.

Under $100 (if possible?). I’m just looking for something I can travel with. Not baby so much. In a soprano...

Are you anywhere near Lansing? Elderly Instruments has a stockpile of ukes.

There are just so many options for you. Another consideration might be a Donner ukulele package (Concert) which was reviewed somewhat favorably on Got a Ukulele, with a Gig Bag for $68 or so. The Dolphins are great (there is now a concert scale dolphin or shark, can't remember which), but I would recommend getting them from a dealer who sets them up as you did previously with Uke Republic (no such option with a Donner--Amazon only).

You just missed a special sale where Enya was selling a little HPL (high pressure laminate) for $29...but that deal isn't coming back.

I would also add the Makala series to your potential list...Kala's budget brand (which is funny, as Kala makes everything from the KA-15S to the elite models which sell for over $1000). My first ukulele was the Makala MK-CE, and it is still played on a regular basis.

Top Bottom