Conquering in small steps

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
With the departure of my assistant back to germany I had to make plans and one of them was conquering my battles with CNCand CAD. After a really false start with a sub-standard machine I invested in a working tool which I have now successfully trained to make my pearl headstock logo. Given my eyesight, lack of dexterity and muscle fatigue I couldn't pssibly execute this by hand...

Logos230817.jpg

What I love about this is setting up the machine - about 5 minutes, switching on and coming back 2 hours latter to find 16 nicely cut logos waiting to be prized off their base.

Tip here if you are doing this... glue pearl to a substrate like MDF using Titebond but separated from it with a sheet of paper. When it comes to prizing off the pearl, flood the piece with water and in a minute the paper will be breaking down and you can remove the logo! Old wood-turning technique before the days of dovetail chucks.

Was a bit of trial and error working out the tolerances for dropping in the pearl but I got it in a few steps... Ebony plates are flawless. The leadwood has a tiny bit of 'ghosting' but you get this with rosewood.

Next up for my acoustic ukulele is pin bridges :)

Nice!

I do the same thing to create the inlays and pockets for logos. After some experimentation, it appeared that gluing the parts wasn't necessary. Scotch double stick tape (the ordinary arts-and-crafts stuff with the yellow label from the variety store) holds fine and is easily removeable.

A simple yet satisfying logo. I think I see the Hawaiian Islands looming out of the sea...

Unless there has been a geological incident of some magnitude that I am unaware of no Welsh mountains have suddenly appeared mid Pacific Ocean. A nice thought but.

CNC is amazing, but it takes some brains to program everything...way beyond my chisels :)

I'm a stickler for thee sorts of things, but what and where is Eryri?

Welsh name for mount snowdon I believe. Lovely sounding language but I never grasped it very well when I lived in Wales for four years...

I'm a stickler for thee sorts of things, but what and where is Eryri?

Eryri is the Welsh name for Snowdonia - The national park in North Wales. Snowdon (Y Wyddfa in Welsh) is the highest mountain in Wales and the logo is the shape of Snowdon as seen from Pete's Workshop.... It is a beautiful area :)

Moisten a small cloth towel...... place the towel in the Micro Wave........ get it steaming......... then simply lay towel over your inlay and it should release from the glue without prying...

kw

Prying just a term... they lifted off quite easily Kevin but thanks for the tip. Will try it nrxt time.

Top Bottom