Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filing Nut for Low G Tuning

That was my next question.
    Are there Low G Concert sets with an unwound 4th?
    Is the Fremont a single string or a set?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Eaton View Post
    Why not try install the string into the existing slot and see what happens? I have Kala Tenor and have installed wound and non wound low G strings without modifying the nut. I have not perceived any problems. It it does not work, then you can risk filing the nut.
    This is what I would advise too.
    My CD! Click here to listen!

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post

Matt
    My Kala concert has a set of Aquila "reds" with an unwound low-G, Aquila set #86U
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

FYI:

99% of unwound fluoro low-G strings are going to be either 0.0358" or 0.0413" in diameter.

99% of WOUND low-G strings are going to be either 0.028" or 0.030" in diameter.

The wound strings are a higher density due to the over-wrap of silver-plated copper wire, thus thinner in diameter and slightly better intonation and tone but with about 3 lbs more string tension than the fluoro strings mentioned above.

ANY Classical guitar "D' string will work, and is the same in fact as most uke 'single' low-G strings of the same material.

If you do a search for 'thomastik' you will find LOTS of discussion of using this brand of CHOME flatwound strings, which many find to be an improvement in near-zero string squeak and finger noise over the Fremont Soloist wound gold-colored low-G string, which only sold as a single. The Thomastik strings are ALSO available as a single.

D'Addario single "D" classical string are usually ~$1.50 online, the Fremont $5, and the Thomastik $6.

Many many times, I have used a few careful strokes of a hacksaw blade to widen the nut slots, but be VERY careful since most hacksaw blades will remove LOTS of material in a single stroke, i.e., they 'cut' much faster than a file does.

I then use the welding tip cleaners, also with ONLY a few gentle strokes to make sure that the bottom of the nut slot is round.

Also, make sure that you are cutting at an angle down towards the tuners such that the breakpoint of the string over the nut is at the face of the nut. If you cut a slot that is parallel to the fretboard, you are going to have bad problems with buzzing and intonation.

+1 for the severe warning to NEVER use a triangle file for nut slots, unless you actually enjoy self-torture from intermittent tuning variations in response to the tuner-rotation vs. the tension that ends at the V-shaped nut slot, that is not immediately or EVER transfered to the vibrating length of the string because it is 'bound up' in the valley of the V-shape, while also constantly replacing strings from this same excessive tension in just a few short inches.

Amazon, ebay, Walmart and CB Gitty all sell a set of gaged welding-tip cleaners for $6 or less and they come in a holder that lets you flip out the size needed while keeping the other sizes inside, much like a swiss-army knife, and they are easy to use, but they do have quite a bit of flex, so you need to make sure how your hand moves when you gently stroke the nut slot so as to minimize the flex, as you are merely polishing the slot round and not sawing at it, so lots of force is not necessary.

I have a high G concert I want tune to low G. Is there a standard size I need to file the nut to, to accommodate the low G string?
    Also, do I have to use a nut file or can I get away with a triangular needle file?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Worth CT-LG string set went on my Kamaka fine with no modification of the nut.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Will the Worth CT-LG fit a concert?

Matt

Will the Worth CT-LG fit a concert?

Matt
    CM-LG for sopranos and concerts
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

You can get that Freemont low G as a single. It is a wound, coated string and impressively slender for a low G. Lots of fans including Jake.

Is the Fremont a single string or a set?

Matt

Ditto Phil. I had a low g set of fluorocarbons I was gonna put on my soprano. Wayyy too think for the slot. I was reluctant to cut nut (this was a couple of yrs ago, now I might). I went with a Freemont soloist and did not have to fiddle with the nut. Very happy with it. Only downside is my bridge is slotted and it's a royal pain to get a nice tight knot. If it was a tie bridge, I'd have no problem.

Get the Fremont, it can be used on tenor, concert and soprano.....yes soprano. Here is a trick to check if the slot is wide enough for the Fremont. Sharpen a pencil with a knife so the point is long and slender. Then colour in the bottom of that one nut slot. Take the string, place it in the nut slot and pull it back and forth a few times. If the pencil coating gets worn away you know the string is bottoming out and the slot is wide enough for the string.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information