Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need pickup advice for my kala

Default Need pickup advice for my kala

I only own one uke right now and it's a concert Kala solid wood acacia that cost me about $350. from Mim.

I've decided between church and public, I want a pickup after all.

Before I even talk about type, I guess my question is do you think this worth spending the extra $200?

I'm guessing you might say if I'm happy with the sound and enjoy uke, then do it.

The pickups I'm most interested in would be the LR Baggs Five-O or the MiSi.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.IMG-1140.jpg
    Last edited by joshsimpson79; 08-25-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Add pic.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsimpson79 View Post
    I only own one uke right now and it's a concert Kala solid wood acacia that cost me about $350. from Mim.

I've decided between church and public, I want a pickup after all.

Before I even talk about type, I guess my question is do you think this worth spending the extra $200?

I'm guessing you might say if I'm happy with the sound and enjoy uke, then do it.

The pickups I'm most interested in would be the LR Baggs Five-O or the MiSi.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.IMG-1140.jpg
    Hmm. I think about a couple things about you situation. Do you want to expand your uke collection or want to keep it just at one uke? If you just want to keep it at 1 uke and you love it, do it! I have used MI-SI trios on most of my ukes but I have been loving the fullness of the LR Baggs from watching them on the videos. Another thing that I like about the LR Baggs is that it has a volume nob. The volume knob isn't always nessary but it is nice sometimes if you are not super close to the amp or mixer. Not sure where you getting the pick-up installed but most places charge about $100 bucks for the labor. So the MiSi ($115 from mainland ukes) or the LR Baggs ($150 Amazon/Music stores) + Labor would exceed your projection. Just putting it out there.

If you want to expand you collection and pick up a uke (probably tenor because there are more with builtin electronics) you could get Kala STG-C for around $275 new.

Just stuff to consider. I just bought a KALA KA-ZTP-CTG a month ago and love it. So I'm going to get the LR Baggs installed when I have time.
    Kamaka HF-3 w/Mi-Si Pickup "Kino" | KALA KA-ZTP-CTG w/LR Baggs 5.0 "Kine"
    Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE - Low G

"As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot."
    - John Lennon

I love collecting, and I've bought and sold guitars for years. For now, I'm looking to pay off all debts, so I plan on sticking to one uke for the time being.

I'm a music minister, so some sound guys or gals are much better than others, so the volume knob might be a big plus.

I appreciate your thoughts very much.

I think you've already answered your own question.

A lot of people would cringe at spending $200-250 for a pickup to put in a $350 uke. That's why you typically see a $25 pickup in a $250 uke as deznuchs pointed out. Nothing wrong with that if you fits your needs.

The pickups you mention are top shelf, so it sounds like you want the best amplified sound you can get. If you're happy with the acoustic sound and playability of your uke, and you want the best amplified sound, then go for it. You should be very pleased.

The only down side is that if you ever decide to sell it, realize that you will not get that money back.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

I will give it some more thought. It might make more seen sense to get a cheaper pickup to get plugged in and then get a higher end uke later. I have two boys and will likely give them a uke someday anyway.

You might consider putting one of these in yourself.
    Island Big Spot
    http://kksound.com/products/bigislandspot.php
    I have done a few and installation is easy one you get over the fear of drilling a 3/8 inch hole in your ukulele.
    Keep Strummin'

I have 3 concert electro acoustic ukes, one with a MiSi, & to be honest they all sound about the same plugged in playing through my Micro Cube amp.
    Maybe you don't need such an expensive pickup, maybe you'd be better off buying another uke already fitted with a pick up system, even pre used.
    A Kala KA-CEME might suit your needs.
    Last edited by uke1950; 08-26-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

The Island Big Spot price looks right and I could probably install it myself or get a friend that has done several on guitars...not that it is exactly the same.

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.

I have used both the big spot and the twin spot in ukes. Mya Moe's use twin spots.
    Very easy install.
    Keep Strummin'

Thanks guys. Got a big island spot. The price was good online, and I can do a self install. So I won't be spending a huge amount on a lower end instrument.

Thread Information