Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need pickup advice for my kala

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Beaver View Post
    I'm all for the volume control btw, I can't stand feedback from mics and speakers etc, I don't think anyone likes it.
    Just for conversation, how does volume control feedback without affecting main level volume?
    I'll start- it doesn't. This is where a ParaAcoustic DI or Venue will serve well with their feature set. They're not "just more expensive versions" once you learn to use them.

As Booli mentioned, live sound needs to be learned.
    Last edited by Kekani; 08-29-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    ...As Booli mentioned, live sound needs to be learned.
    Aye brother! and dues paid in the field (and studio for recording), and in my case, 30 yrs worth.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Just for conversation, how does volume control feedback without affecting main level volume?
    I'll start- it doesn't. This is where a ParaAcoustic DI or Venue will serve well with their feature set. They're not "just more expensive versions" once you learn to use them.

As Booli mentioned, live sound needs to be learned.
    Hi Kekani.

I've never had feedback issues at an Open Mic in a Venue in the past, but then there's a Sound Tech who operates the PA while I'm simply on the stage with an instrument, as you would probably already be aware of such situations.
    If I use my Amp at home, which is actually very rare occasion, I like to have the Volume Right Down when I plug in, then I turn it up once I'm away from the Amp.
    I like to turn the Volume Control right down again prior to unplugging, or before I return to close proximity of the Amp to turn it off, make adjustment etc.
    I do this habitually, ever since experiencing the loud pop, and it was previously explained to me at my earliest stage of learning, to have the volume down when plugging in or unplugging as a precautionary measure to avoid any such situations.
    So far it has always helped to avoid the loud Pop in those situations. It also avoids Feedback when in close proximity to the Amp. I live in a unit and the room is not all that great, kind of space limited. It's not something that happens regularly for me, but I like to be able to avoid it with that simple precautionary measure.
    I also have always used the Volume Control in the same manner when plugging/unplugging on a stage, just in case, as I say it seems a good and extremely easy precautionary measure, just a simple turn of the dial.
    I read that the stick on pickups are similar to little Mics, so I figure if I get in close proximity with the Amplifier with those little Mics there is a possibility they may feedback. Maybe I'm mistaken, I've never used the type of pickup before. At this stage it's just what I've read or heard about, I haven't even received my Adeline pickup yet. So far I've briefly tried my Tenor Uke which has an undersaddle pickup, didn't have a problem with that. Other than that, only ever used my Guitar through it (has an onboard pre-amp), and I did get feedback through that when I moved close to the Amp without turning Volume down.

Just to note, I have only ever had some experience using a pickup with on board Pre-Amp (with Guitar), so I'm currently trying to figure out more about the Passive system. The first time I've used Passive pickups is with my Uke relatively recently.

For myself, it's slightly different situation to the OP. At the current time I'm only practicing and learning, I don't actually perform live at the current stage I'm at in my practice. Also, I don't actually have a Kala, my Ukes are a different Brand, but I think it should all be the same regardless.
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 08-29-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Dean, read your statement as using Volume knob to control feedback on stage. You're using it for something else.

Note: Venue is a thing, not a place.
    Last edited by Kekani; 08-29-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks for the confirmation kekani.
    Yes I was taught at the early stage it should be the norm, which is why I do so habitually.
    I don't have the Mute button, so I am depending on the Volume Control in that situation.

I see the Behringer does not have the Notch Filter function. So I think I'm understanding your point regarding the reference to the LR Baggs unit.

Thanks
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 08-29-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Everything of valid technical merit, based upon field-tested and studio-proven experience, has already been said, and explained, therefore, I'm out and un-subbed from this thread once I post this.

Further questions will not receive my attention nor my answers here, so please feel free to carry on without me.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Thread Information