Season 289 - ALWAYS and NEVER

Hi, Brian! Excellent theme, but, I, too, wanted to do my "nothing" song! Feeling guilty about doing anything at all, because my husband is still very unwell; but, somehow, playing the uke is therapeutic. Played this on my steel string baritone (or, to be perfectly honest, my new - to me! - Ashbury tenor guitar, tuned DGBE.) Is this allowed???

Here's an original for you, Pa. I think I worked the word "never" in there somewhere.

Here's the first thing I thought of, and it really needed to be done--sing along, everyone! (and that's all the information you're getting until you watch the video!)....

A very little ALWAYS paoriginal - a whole 10 minutes gone into this one but I had to do a blues in Bb. I did cheat and use a capo.

I really appreciate the originals that have already come in and would LOVE some more!

Everything is shut down for the aftermath of the hurricane--even our church services were cancelled today. So I don't have anything to do but sit around and sing songs.

Anyway, I was stunned when I read up on the history of this song. Written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach, first recorded by Dionne Warwick in 1963, but only as a demo.

Lou Johnson's version went to #49 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1964.

Later that same year, Sandy Shaw recorded it and it went to #1 in the U.K., #16 in Australia, #7 in Ireland, and #10 in the Netherlands. She recorded a French version that went to #2 in France and a German version that failed to chart.

Dionne Warwick recorded it again in 1967 as an actual release and it went to only #65 in the U.S.

R.B. Greaves (never heard of him) recorded it in 1970 and it went to #27 in the U.S., finally getting some success here.

It was recorded by a truck load of different artists that spanned multiple genres without success.

And all this time I thought it was just a huge hit for Naked Eyes in 1983. It went to #8 in the U.S., #7 in Australia, #9 in Canada, #2 in New Zealand, but only to #59 in the U.K.

I do not expect this cover to chart.

OK, all you power pop fans ... Another one by Mickey Jupp I have adored since I first heard it (from Dave Edmunds). It's about exactly what you think. (I'll get the season number right eventually ... maybe ...)

Last edited:
Okay pa, here's an original that I just kind of whipped out. Everyone break out your capos--it's in Bb. Blues progressions, but it's too happy to be a blues song.

She said never use a capo when you play, son
Never use a capo when you play
Playing with a capo
Is a rookie trap, oh
Never use a capo when you play

She said never use a strap when you play, son
Never use a strap when you play
Don't need no strap to play
A ukulele
Never use a strap when you play

I said I'm gonna use a capo when I play, ma'am
And I'm gonna use a strap when I play
When the day is done
You'll see we still had some fun
Oh I'm gonna use 'em both when I play

She said you can't use low-G when you play, son
Ain't no low-G on a ukulele
It ain't the same thing
With that crazy fat string
You can't use low-G when you play

I said I'm gonna use a capo when I play, ma'am
And I'm gonna use a strap when I play
And you'll see when I knock up
That old country walk-up
That low-G sounds good when I play

This was a hit for country singer Stonewall Jackson in the late 60's. I read online this is a considered a skiffle song in some circles. Never though of it as such, but maybe it kinda is.

I was really looking forward to playing my "Nothing" song, so you deserve this! Consider yourself rickrolled.

Oh, and the sound stuffed up, but there's no way I'm re-recording this rubbish!

I was really looking forward to playing my "Nothing" song, so you deserve this! Consider yourself rickrolled.

Oh, and the sound stuffed up, but there's no way I'm re-recording this rubbish!

Seems we have a theme song emerging. Greyghost included it in his medley. TCK brought his version. And we have Robin's punishing version from Tassie.

Another original for ya, Pa. Took me all day to write, hope you like it. Words and chords in the YT comments.

Nothing original here, Pa, but a local song (local meaning Australian)...

Top Bottom