Season 289 - ALWAYS and NEVER

Here's a rare thing. An idea for a song that didn't completely elude me! It's still a bit rough but here's a quick original that goes out to anyone who's ever argued about anything on the internet.

Here's a not quite original. The lyrics are from a song called Always Something by Cage the Elephant, but the original has so much production going one there's not much instrumentation to translate to the uke so instead I've made up my own backing to go with the feel of the original.

I'm on vacation this week. Here's another original sad country song.

She was always a little wild
Always getting in some mess
Never worried about no consequence
Never cared about success

She kept her plain brown hair cut short
It framed the freckles on her face
She wore cut-off jeans and tennis shoes
She had no use for ribbons and lace

But I told her that I loved her
In spite of all her outlaw ways
I said she was my only one
And I would love her always

She said "Never say always
Because that means forever
If you love me I'll just run away
And I'll always say never"

Years went by and we went our ways
We drifted far apart
I lived a good life but I always felt
A little ache deep in my heart

I caught up with her just yesterday
She had run too fast, too long
"Too soon gone, always remembered"
It said upon the stone

But I remembered what she'd said about
What she'd told me not to say
When I said she was my only one
And I would love her always

Here's an Always song, from Travis c.1999 (I always remember that as I used to dance around when it was on the radio, with a baby daughter in my arms. Now she's 18...)
And can I just point out that I never lied when I was seventeen.

I'm just back from vacation, and ready to start on this Season.

A search of my iTunes library showed me that, strictly speaking, "Guinnevere" by Crosby, Stills & Nash has "never" in the title. :rolleyes:

Always Read The Rubric

You've not seen or heard one of these before, and might not ever again, so please enjoy an original song from yours truly entitled "Always Read The Rubric". :cool:

I'm just back from vacation, and ready to start on this Season.

A search of my iTunes library showed me that, strictly speaking, "Guinnevere" by Crosby, Stills & Nash has "never" in the title. :rolleyes:

Yes . But I agree with the roll eyes face. It has the letters n e v e r but not the word NEVER.
Look forward to whatever you bring Jim. Even if it is Guin NEVER e.
Are there other words like this that contain the letters I wonder. :confused: More thinking than confused.

Five years before the more famous song (originally recorded by Brenda Lee but really made famous by Elvis and later Willy Nelson, though the Pet Shop Boys did their own take on it which I rather liked) the Strawbs recorded a song titled "Always on my Mind" for album which wasn't released till some years later. The Strawbs at that time included one Sandy Denny in their lineup though she left not long after to join Fairport Convention. I came across it while searching for trad songs with Always and Never in their titles and decided it would do as an Always song. I have a trad Never song to come. Fortunately for me, it's on You Tube so I was able to listen to it, get the lyrics and work out some chords with the aid of chordify.

Another original, in which I share some important songwriting tips!

I love it when the first song that comes to mind for a Season is short, is familiar, and is already arranged nicely for uke. Here's one from Hüsker Dü's classic double LP, Zen Arcade.

My 'always' original still needs some work. Wish me luck.

Here's a hard core country song Boxcar Willie did. Love this tune, never tried it before. This was the 2nd recorded take, so it's not perfect, but I had fun.

Being a bloke of few words ,this is an instrumental.
An original.

an original song for you Brian,
featuring a few of my favourite friends.
thanks for hosting the week mate.

Wow! It's still pretty early in the week and you folks have already made this a really enjoyable week for me. I've been in a bit of a funk and you guys are helping lift me up out of it. Thank you and keep them coming please.

Top Bottom