Guidelines for posting in Tech Talk

Kekani

Reaction score
I've seen a number of posts recently that, admittedly, provide comic relief and a possible "shake the head" reaction. Silence may seem like consent, but lately, especially in Tech Talk (and sometimes the Lounge), its not. Lots of misinformation going out there, which IMHO, can deteriorate the quality of content in the Underground.

In the spirit of helping those who have issues with their ukulele, and post queries in Tech Talk for answers, I'd like to throw out the following to help get good quality, realistic responses.

• Pictures, pictures, and more pictures. Providing pictures to SHOW your issues will say more than words.

• Details that matter - not ones that don't. Terms such as "solid wood" and "acacia koa" helps if the issue is with that specific wood, but not if the question is about pickups.
    If the question is about pickups, define the problem, and provide what your signal chain consists of. And provide pics.

• Brevity is good get to the point. Long reads can oftentimes NOT be read. Dare I say this - this post is a long one. . .

• Measurements are good. Also, think about the reader, and put the measurement in context. It's easier to respond if there is no requirement for the reader to go out and measure their own ukulele. Ask yourself, "Does the reader want Standard, or Metric?" Maybe do the conversion yourself, and put both to draw a larger response audience.

• Search is your friends, sometimes. Most topics have been addressed in posts, or the stickies above. Quote those posts if you have further questions.

• Be realistic - there is no magic pill when it comes to repair. It takes work and can cost more that what the instrument is worth. State your level of competence, ie: I don't have tools, and I need to reglue a bridge - what clamps do I use and what glue? Show pics of the bridge, but do a search first. Responses such as "use real hide glue", while absolutely appropo in the Lounge, can be unrealistic if you don't have a pot, or haven't even learned to use hide glue.

• Cost doesn't matter - but value does. Questions such as "Should I fix this?" is not necessarily a technical matter if the question is whether its worth the cost if you're paying someone else to do it.
    Change the question to "Should I attempt to fix this, or send this out to and pay someone else?" is technical, provide you post details about the repair (pics), your skill level and what tools you have.

• People are nice - but not necessarily right. The culture -outside of the Lounge- seems to be one of non-dissent and of compliance. Members will normally NOT disagree with what has been previously stated for various reasons. The guys that have been around a long time, that have engaged in responding in kind (albeit correctly) have at one point in time been "shot at" or "shot down" which has resulted in either "gun shy" responses from those more experienced, or no responses at all, which perpetuates misinformation. You MAY have to take some responses with a grain of salt.

• Respect your elders - the Underground (and other online Forums) has lost a number of valued members over the years that have spent their time and effort to assist the community. I've seen some of them blasted for their manner of response, and not necessarily the quality of response. Understand that many Luthiers that share their knowledge have been through more than we can imagine, which may hint to age. Brevity is good. Short responses are not meant to be rude, just efficient.

• Ask questions "genuinely". If you ask what you want to do for a repair, expect an opposing response. If you're stating what you want to do with a repair without regard to the responses, meaning, you're going to do what you're going to do no matter what anyone says, save the question to yourself, or share your experience in Uke Talk. Posts like this can be the root cause for dissent, and frustration among those trying to help, especially when you're asking for help, and aren't going to listen to understand.

Last edited:
sounds right Aaron....thanks for posting

sounds right Aaron....thanks for posting

Len, just trying to help. I see a lot of assumptions and misinformation going on recently, so I thought I'd throw this out to help those with question get a better field of responses.

Worth pointing out that a Google search with "site:ukuleleunderground.com [keyword]" is a million times more useful than the default forum search.

Worth pointing out that a Google search with "site:ukuleleunderground.com [keyword]" is a million times more useful than the default forum search.

+1 :agree:

Thanks for posting this tip. I use it myself all the time too.

This is just an interesting thread. ;) I think that a lot of people start threads here more for affirmation. They know what they want to do, but they just want someone to come along and tell them that it is okay to do it. They want permission. Anyway, great guidelines. Next time I need affirmation I'll make sure that I keep them in mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom