Thread: Kamaka HF-3 D2I Deluxe 2 Tenor?

Default Kamaka HF-3 D2I Deluxe 2 Tenor?

I noticed a listing for Kamaka HF-3 D2I Deluxe 2 Tenor on the Elderly Music website. "Very much like the ukulele played by Jake Shimabukuro", it says, along with a price tag of $3,495.

What is different about this HF-3 vs. the "regular" HF-3? How is it more like Jake's? I tried finding it on Kamaka's website, but either missed it or it isn't there.

I think it is primarily the slotted headstock. When I look at the ukuleles played by Jake Shimabukuro, he tends to favor those.

This Kamaka also has a higher grade of Koa and some nice details such as the abalone binding around the ukulele and the detailing around the sound hole.

I don't expect that either the slotted head stock, upgraded Koa wood or the beautiful binding etc. would have much difference in the sound, but I could be wrong. It is about a $2,000 premium over the regular HF-3.

Looks beautiful - heck it probably sounds amazing also.

Rich

Thanks, ghostrdr. Seems like it is the HF-3 with slotted headstock and bling. Maybe the upgraded Koa gives it a bit better sound? But, it seems like it would sound basically like a HF-3, but look fancier.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Maybe the upgraded Koa gives it a bit better sound?
    Probably not. Chuck always says that the "ugly," straight grain koa makes a better-sounding uke. My standard-run HF-3 is one of the better sounding ukes I've played (back before it started fretting out). I'd still take it in its heyday over the few artist-model kamakas I've played.
    Peace,

Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

My original folk rock album, If Only, is available now!
    'Ukulele Chord Shapes - 55 pages of all the chords and know-how you'll ever need to stay found on the fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Guy View Post
    Probably not. Chuck always says that the "ugly," straight grain koa makes a better-sounding uke. My standard-run HF-3 is one of the better sounding ukes I've played (back before it started fretting out). I'd still take it in its heyday over the few artist-model kamakas I've played.
    Nice to know an expert or two can back me up - I've long believed that my most plain-Jane straight-grain Kamakas sound better than fancier, curlier grained ones I've encountered

yeah, it's all about the "bling" if you don't love the look, get the base HF3...I think they're gorgeous, though...

A guy in our club has a D, it's gorgeous, but he brings his base model. My Kanile'a is basically a D, it's premium koa and I think it sounds amazing.
    IMG_20170122_123027707~3.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Guy View Post
    I don't think that the straight grain koa is ugly. In fact, I'm not really a bling person, though I do sometimes find that some of the beautiful blingy ukuleles do catch my eye. Good to know that it shouldn't really make a difference in sound, or might even be better than the fancy looking wood.

Some of the upgraded Kamakas have a different top than koa, which would make a difference, but IIRC, the deluxe tenor I posted about was all koa. (For some reason, I can't get to the Elderly site right now.)

Thread Information