acrylic nail on index finger for strumming, good idea or not?

I have very soft nails and play frequently for long stretches of time. My index fingernail can wear down to the quick. I have tried the SH nail hardening polish that's available currently and have not found it effective (wears off right away). I don't like the chemicals or upkeep required with salon nails and they can lead to nail health issues. The riconails with the little glue dots would seem to be a cool idea, but I can't see it being practical if you play frequently throughout the day (taking them off and then back on). I've gotten used to a pick since I started playing guitar, and I use them now with some frequency even on ukulele. This has really saved my index finger and has been my main go-to for just plain strumming (and I'm getting more comfortable with flat picking). If I am fingerpicking, I like Kelly freedom pick, (I use the Deltrin ones, haven't tried the poly) http://fredkellypicks.com/product-category/freedom-pick/. Aaron Keim has a good video on picks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL5uUUhtdp4.

Last edited:
This stuff was recommended here by someone. I've always had weak nails, but this stuff really strengthened mine, using only a pea-sized dab, 2-3 times a day. The story is, it was originally for horses hooves, and was applied by hand, by the grooms, who noticed a dramatic improvement in their hands and nails too. However strong, my index finger strumming nail still wore down to nothing on that side.

https://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Hoofmaker-Hand-Therapy/dp/B00HLSZ3MO/ref=pd_sim_199_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WPM3VJ9W0770YZAR34WZ

I need to give this a try. My strumming nail wears down to nothing in no time. I end up strumming with the fleshy part of my thumb.

Taimane on the subject of nails :) :

I have weak nails, but I've always avoided acrylics because from what I've seen of family members who've had them, they make the natural nail weaker over time. Also, keeping them healthy can be a challenge if you frequently wet your hands.

I'm going to give Mane 'n Tail Hoofmaker a try since their shampoo has an excellent reputation. For anyone ordering from Amazon, it's much cheaper as an add-on item: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TG84BC/

I used to have an issue with strumming my nail down. I discovered that buffing my nail helps for whatever reason, maybe being smoother reduces drag and wear. Also when I go to a big jam where I am going to be strumming long and loud I wear a freedom finger pick to protect my nail.

I'm 3 days in with my acrylics on pointer and thumb, and can't believe how great it is, especially the pointer, for both strumming and fingerpicking. They are so much thicker and harder than my weak, constantly problematic natural nails; I can strum much harder and faster than before, and get great volume and attack, especially on soprano. Who let the dogs out? So easy to get the sops barking. If I ever played that hard with my real nail, I'd be in serious pain. Not sure yet of the effects on my natural nails, but the improvement, to me, has been incredible, and I can't see being without them. I can now easily and confidently bang out some pretty complex strumming tunes.

Last edited:
I'm about 10 days in with my 2 fake nails, going well, but I'm also wearing down the acrylic on my pointer somewhat, about 10% gone now on the strumming side, still plenty left though. I noticed some white powdery residue around the 12th fret where I strum. The nail tech recommended coming back once a month, it was $22.00 for a full manicure, with 2 fakes installed. That seems worth it to me, considering how much better I can strum, with way better volume & attack.

I'm about 10 days in with my 2 fake nails, going well, but I'm also wearing down the acrylic on my pointer somewhat, about 10% gone now on the strumming side, still plenty left though. I noticed some white powdery residue around the 12th fret where I strum. The nail tech recommended coming back once a month, it was $22.00 for a full manicure, with 2 fakes installed. That seems worth it to me, considering how much better I can strum, with way better volume & attack.
You can skip the manicure part if you want. I do. I just get my thumb done every 2-3 weeks.

If I needed to do this and were stuck with only using two, they'd have to be my thumb and middle finger. I use my index only about 1/4 as much as my middle. But so far, my nail growth is staying comfortably ahead of my fingerpicking.

bratsche

Yes, wearing artificial nails makes for louder sound
Yes, artificial nails will weaken your natural nail, because it's covered up and taking the glue.
But, the glue used for permanent false nails is TOXIC.
The answer is a system called Rico nails, as mentioned previously in a post by jbm.
I use it for long rehearsals and for gigs. It prevents my nails wearing thin. The nails are attached with 'gluedots', and you take them off and put them on when you want. Water is enough to break the bond. Gluedots are not toxic. When you're interested we could get into more detail.

Well here goes. Went to my local Tractor Supply and purchased a 32 oz container of Mane 'n Tail Hoofmaker ($12.99 a lifetime supply I know). The cashier gals praised this product for nail and hand care. Need to get some cuetips to apply. Nails already feel like there is a strong coating on them. Will keep you posted.

That sounds interesting

Buy a box of artificial nails of all sizes (v. cheap). Get gluedots (the thin variety). Find the right size artificial nail for your particular finger. If the art. nail is more curved than your natural nail, you can tweak the curve by putting it in a bowl of hot water and applying some pressure. Trim art. nail roughly to length. Clean your natural nail with alcohol. Apply gluedot on nail (natural or artificial, whatever is easiest). Mount artificial nail. Smooth over the transition between artificial nail bottom and skin (that's an area which could catch the string during strumming), using medical tape. File nail into shape; polish. This will last a show or a long rehearsal. Keep dry! Remove nail with water. You can re-use nail, using a fresh gluedot. OK, it's a bit of work, but it will protect your natural nails, or save you when you need to play when a nail is broken, and it's non toxic.

Well here goes. Went to my local Tractor Supply and purchased a 32 oz container of Mane 'n Tail Hoofmaker ($12.99 a lifetime supply I know). The cashier gals praised this product for nail and hand care. Need to get some cuetips to apply. Nails already feel like there is a strong coating on them. Will keep you posted.

I have been putting it on everyday for about a week. I think my nail feel stronger. I am waiting till my nails grow a bit before I really test them. Pluck
Plucking and strumming with my thumb for now.

Top Bottom