Thread: NUD: Favilla U2

Default NUD: Favilla U2

In my search for a nice mahogany soprano, I've been through a few, although no vintage models. I had resigned myself to the notion that I'd need to find a vintage Martin soprano to get the sweet mahogany tone and bark I have heard on all the videos I've viewed. Having heard that vintage Favilla ukes are also well regarded, I was lucky to grab this on ebay for a great price, although I was nervous that it would have issues. Late 30s/early 40s Favilla U2. It has the the white plastic ring on the inside edge of the soundhole. It arrived on Monday: no cracks, normal wear, totally fried tuners. I cleaned and polished it up, installed new Grover 4B tuners, and strung with Martin strings, and am happy to report that is an excellent uke. Very loud and woody, with great midrange bark and a cool vintage vibe. Really holds up well under heavy strumming, and sweet when played softly. I hope to compare it with a vintage Martin someday (I've never tried one) and fully expect it to hold its own.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    20170831_104752.jpg
    20170831_111201.jpg
    20170831_111244.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 08-31-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Nice find, I keep hoping a nice vintage ukulele will find me. So far I have found one early Martin but the owner decided not to part with it. Yours is a beauty and looks to be in great shape.

That certainly looks to be in good condition considering its age, hope you have many happy hours of pleasure from it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I had a Favilla a number of years back. It was perhaps a little older. It was light as a feather and had a really punchy loud sound. The Favillas are often overlooked, but can be terrific. Enjoy.

Looks like a fine one. Those Favilla's are nice little players!

Nice. I have a friend who had a Favila, but sold it. He said it was the one uke he wished he'd kept. Congrats on this one, it needed to be played!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I have a Favilla that I'm very happy with. I had always been more interested in a vintage Martin, but came across my little beauty first (and for a more reachable price)
    I put some Gotoh UPTs on it to make it easier to live with. I find it just as you described: "Very loud and woody, with great midrange bark and a cool vintage vibe" It's so good that I have stopped looking at Martins in case I go for one and find it no better than the Favilla.
    I have a small fleet of ukes, and sometimes play the "what if I had to get down to one uke?" mind game - and the Favilla is definitely a candidate; but - thank goodness I don't have to actually go there. I like all my babies.

A couple of new pics, one showing Dunlop strap holder, which I previously used on acoustic guitar. This uke has really settled nicely, and is all I'm playing lately.

20170907_151744-1.jpg
    20170907_115612-1.jpg
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Thread Information