Check out Chordious

AlohaKine

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this really nice app I found out about;

https://chordious.com/

I've always wanted something simple to keep a list of all my chords, so I didn't have to flip back and forth through pages and pages on a book, trying to find that chord I just learned.

This is a really nice app, and Open Sourced software, so if you find problems you can report them to the developer, or even ask for changes, or features, etc...

https://github.com/jonthysell/Chordious/issues

Last edited:
These apps can be dangerous to install on your computer. I don't know about this how advanced it is regarding chords also.

What I use mainly are through my browser. This:
https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-chords
The chord namer is a nice feature too.
What is lacking in it is that it gives say to F7 only the full chords and not the one I mainly play, that is omitting the 5th.

Sometimes I use this too:
https://ukulele-chords.com/C
It gives the degree of notes, none that is not too difficult to find out yourself too, but a nice feature. The interface is a bit uncomfortable lol.

And with some reservations this too:
https://ukuchords.com/#chord.A.E.C.G.3.1.3.2 because it has not as many chords mainly. Also be careful in using these chords as in 4 or more note chords it omits often the 5th or more important the root note in some chords. They can be useful in special cases.
In the trad chord format there is also this, gives only one choice, but you might like this too:
https://ukuchords.com/files/UkuChords_Complete180ChordChartsPoster_Standard.png

I am sure there are lots other sites too that deserve be mentioned.

Last edited:
Dangerous, I'm assuming you mean as in malware...

If you investigated it, you would of seen it's on GitHub's Repo which shows Chordious, as an Open Source Project under the MIT license.

There's nothing dangerous about this application.

https://github.com/jonthysell/Chordious

For people that don't understand what I just said, there's two ways in which software code development works;

Proprietary & Open Source

With Proprietary the source code is not open, only the developers get to see the code. In Open Source, you can see and download the source code and examine it, because of this, malware doesn't float around in an Open Source project, and if someone was stupid enough to try this, someone would find it sooner or later.

Also I have not fully looked into all the details, Chordious does come with a lot of chords in it, but you can also create you own, make it as complex as you want.

My understanding, instead of having to dig through piles of chord charts, books, etc., to find those chords, you put them all into Chordious, easy to find, as a Reference Guide, so to speak of.

Last edited:
I was talking in general about the danger of applications. And I can see the need when one wants make own chord collection.

Myself I try to keep them in head, but also write to my fave songbook something like C#7b5/0112, of what to play.

Last edited:
There's not any "General" danger of applications, by this I mean, danger comes only in the form of malware infected software.

So what danger are you talking about?

Well when it comes to doing things, everyone has their own way, but Chordious is certainly a nice app I'm sure others might find handy.

I'm not the developer, or getting paid, I just use it. :)

There's not any "General" danger of applications, by this I mean, danger comes only in the form of malware infected software.

So what danger are you talking about?

I am not talking about your Chordious
And I don't want to add any to this.

What I want to add is this, they are kind of crutches. Any chord app or site.

I tell my experience with guitar and what I recommend. To learn the basic chords by heart in many keys. I mean lets say C/A minor. They are C F and G(7). Then Am Dm and E(7) and also Dm7 and Em(7). I used with guitar play some chord sequences of these chord degrees in all 12 keys as a daily practise. Took about 5-10 minutes to do that and because of all them barre chords in non guitar keys, my fingers could barely bar them after that excersize. Ukulele could be easier in that but not for fingertips :p

Now with ukulele, there is much more chord forms to learn with ukulele and I don't do that practise, but instead try play songs in say from 3bs to 3 #sharp keys. I don't think uke has like guitar some standard chords easy to apply. There is much more to learn, tricks and tips. And I have only played uke less than a month. So I'm continually searching new chord fingerings. And get still stuck in changing chords while singing a song or try lol.

Also, in my country a lots of songs are in minor keys, minor 6th chords are important, plus a whole lots of other chords. Minor keys in general are not as easy as major keys but I know I am over generalizing, just they need more chords usually for a song. For them I need tools like I posted, that ukuchords site is a good one to find alternative fingerings.

But also to try figure them by my own. And I am learning, but I myself don't need install an app for this process.

As you say we we are all different ;)

Last edited:
It's not my application, and I was only sharing it for those that might want something to store chords in, that's all... :)

Yes, everyone does things differently.

As we get older, and realize that life is too short and free time less abundant to focus on memorizing things, I am glad for as many apps out there to help facilitate learning or keeping track of things.

Whichever is in my hand, my phone or tablet or if I am at the computer, I consider that device the 'other half' of my brain for both storage of less-frequently needed info but wanting it close at hand, as well as for quick look ups of info that's important, and ALSO in-hand....that I simply cannot memorize. At a certain age (~40) our memory starts to have intermittent failures, and I've likely learned and forgotten MORE than most folks would learn in the first place, but I fully admit that at 48 yrs old, I need help sometimes, so I'd rather have a crutch and still be able to limp along instead of being sidelined and left to stare at a blank wall and frustrated and filled with despair.

Some of us need a crutch from time-to-time. Same way we need eyeglasses, contacts or Lasik surgery when our eyesight is failing.

For folks that have a photographic memory and zero health impediments, they should truly appreciate just how lucky they are.

Whatever apps come out, I say bring it on, and I will fully embrace ANYTHING that makes life easier, WHILE not tracking me and WHILE ALSO respecting my privacy.

Having said all the above, we each have our own preferences, and none of them have to be classified as 'wrong' for ALL of them to be 'right'.

I reject dogma and doctrine by default, and see what works best for me, and I always suggest the same for each person to do for themselves and find their own path. :)

Chordious looks nice! I will try it out. Thanks for sharing this. :D

I forgot to mention when I made the post, that since it's open source, you can report issues to the developer on GitHub, along with ideas, features/changes etc...

I listed this back up in the original post, for the link to the developers GitHub repo.

I submitted bug reports in the past when I found issues, and then they get fixed. :)

Last edited:
Chordious looks nice! I will try it out. Thanks for sharing this. :D

This program has been mentioned previously here on UU, but it does not hurt to have another post about it for the folks that missed it last time.

Everything else gets repeated :) on UU eventually, so we are nothing if not consistent, and yes, thanks to the OP AlohaKine for sharing this info.

As we get older, and realize that life is too short and free time less abundant to focus on memorizing things, I am glad for as many apps out there to help facilitate learning or keeping track of things.

Whichever is in my hand, my phone or tablet or if I am at the computer, I consider that device the 'other half' of my brain for both storage of less-frequently needed info but wanting it close at hand, as well as for quick look ups of info that's important, and ALSO in-hand....that I simply cannot memorize. At a certain age (~40) our memory starts to have intermittent failures, and I've likely learned and forgotten MORE than most folks would learn in the first place, but I fully admit that at 48 yrs old, I need help sometimes, so I'd rather have a crutch and still be able to limp along instead of being sidelined and left to stare at a blank wall and frustrated and filled with despair.Some of us need a crutch from time-to-time. Same way we need eyeglasses, contacts or Lasik surgery when our eyesight is failing.

Not that Booli. I am 10 years older than you, so of course we need crutches. For what ever reason.

Myself, I keep forgetting all the time these ukulele chords. To learn by "heart" comes only with practise and repetition. What I find a bit frustrating is that I can't get much sound in higher frets with my nailles index finger strum. I learned today that a thumb strum helps.

My point in my earlier post was that there are much more chord forms to learn for me. I want keep as much many as possible near the nut. And I am a bit dissapointed how little I can apply chords higher up the neck. Thumb strum surely helps. Uke is certainly a very different instrument compared to guitar, and maybe mine also is not the best. Index finger strum up the neck chords is dissapointing :(

I love though the low position chords and like sing to them. So a lots of chords to learn. And less i need to look back as a crutch in those sites the better.

Last edited:
This program has been mentioned previously here on UU, but it does not hurt to have another post about it for the folks that missed it last time.

Everything else gets repeated :) on UU eventually, so we are nothing if not consistent, and yes, thanks to the OP AlohaKine for sharing this info.

Arrggh my bad, I didn't do a search for it... :(

Jarmo_S, not to go off topic here, but what size Uke are you playing, that you have a harder time with chords higher up the neck?

Jarmo_S, not to go off topic here, but what size Uke are you playing, that you have a harder time with chords higher up the neck?

Well, this is kind of off topic, but I'm sure no one else will mind if not you as a thread starter ;)

It is just a basic laminated Kala KA-CEM, that is supposed to be a good starter uke, concert size.

The problem is on the right hand and more specific I don't have any long nails. I can't anymore grow them so they last. Our nails go thinner and less strong as we age. I am sure some with "more monkey genes" can have long nails all their life though. Also I'm not into get any acrylic etc. fake nail, so it has to be without index finger nail for me.

And with it I can't put much energy into strings higher up the neck. I am now talking about the down strum. With a pick I can, but it has limitations that I can already see regarding the right hand technique, so that option i refuse. With thumb, also just flesh, I can handle much better the higher up the neck chords than with index finger. I'm happy that ukulele don't have as much right or wrong ways of doing things as the classical guitar.

I am this week starting in a ukulele group and will be interesting to see if anyone else with my problem. Could be also that they all come in there with a pick in their pocket lol. I anyways always have one in my pocket, even if I don't play ukulele with that.

Last edited:
Hi all, glad you guys have found my app useful!

I don't spend as much time on UU these days (most of the time I'd usually be holding a uke I'm now holding my one-year old) but Chordious is still in development, and I do find the time to add to it here and there.

As for using the app, while I know people find the Chord Finder so useful, honestly there are lots of chord apps / collections out there. The power and "true purpose" of the app is to enable musicians and music educators to create custom fretboard diagrams. Whether you just need a couple chords to add to a lead sheet for your class or song circle, or want to publish your own "chord bible" for an obscure instrument, Chordious gives you a free and (hopefully) easy way to create diagrams in the exact style you want.

I built the app because I've seen some pretty bad diagrams in otherwise great music books. I built it because I play non-standard tunings and there often aren't any diagrams around, let alone high quality free ones.

And I keep building it because all of the wonderful feedback I get from my users. So keep it coming!

Hi all, glad you guys have found my app useful!

I don't spend as much time on UU these days (most of the time I'd usually be holding a uke I'm now holding my one-year old) but Chordious is still in development, and I do find the time to add to it here and there.

As for using the app, while I know people find the Chord Finder so useful, honestly there are lots of chord apps / collections out there. The power and "true purpose" of the app is to enable musicians and music educators to create custom fretboard diagrams. Whether you just need a couple chords to add to a lead sheet for your class or song circle, or want to publish your own "chord bible" for an obscure instrument, Chordious gives you a free and (hopefully) easy way to create diagrams in the exact style you want.

I built the app because I've seen some pretty bad diagrams in otherwise great music books. I built it because I play non-standard tunings and there often aren't any diagrams around, let alone high quality free ones.

And I keep building it because all of the wonderful feedback I get from my users. So keep it coming!

Hello Jon,

Nice to see you drop in! I love your app, I've even submitted some feedback/reports on GitHub in the past!

I hope you'll always have the time to keep it alive, and it would be great if you could keep it going for Linux without Mono!

THANKS

Top Bottom