Need a friction tuner nylon washer

Ziret

Reaction score
I would like to put these tuners on a uke, but I only have seven of the nylon washers. And I don't know what kind they are to just buy a single tuner. Does anyone know where I could get that washer or a tuner? Thank you for your help.

IMG_20170831_161704.jpg

Those look look like the Grover's "6B" set as per here:

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/UKULELE/Ukulele-Pegs-Set-of-4

My local True Value hardware store has a rack about 8 ft tall with plastic bins that has all kinds and sizes of white Delrin washers (the one you are missing), black ABS washers, as well as rubber and metal washers, and typically they sell them for about $0.10 each...

Aside from that you might find them at Lowes, Home Depot or Sears near the Plumbing dept where they have little washers for faucets...

IIRC, I've seen the Grover 6B tuners at Amazon and Sweetwater for ~$20 for the set of 4, but that's a little steep for a ten-cent item.

Thanks, Booli. I'll go to the ranch supply store tomorrow. Knowing what the material is helps--vs the brand of tuner. I love this group.

Thanks, Booli. I'll go to the ranch supply store tomorrow. Knowing what the material is helps--vs the brand of tuner. I love this group.

I'm glad to help.

FYI: IIRC, "Delrin" is some variant or more modern polymer of old-school Dupont 'nylon' and is used a lot in friction fittings where a certain balance of slip vs. grip is needed, like in instrument tuners, and I've seen it used on geared tuning machines of all sorts (near the tuner button) as well as in all manner of better friction tuners (which I still cannot use).

I have taken apart and rebuilt over a dozen different friction tuners, and tried to make them work easier, i.e., smoother to turn, yet tight enough NOT to slip, and have had mixed results. I do like them for their light-weight, but the fiddly nature of using them drives me crazy...

Thus, from my hacking with trying to improve them, I have come across a variety of things, such as the Delrin, ABS, PLA, leather, cork, felt, cardboard, rubber and metal washers...and some other materials that I cannot remember at the moment...

Top Bottom