Avatar Sizes A Little Bigger Please?

AlohaKine

Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed some larger avatars on the forum, but I see in the options it only shows;

50 by 50 pixels or 19.5 KB

OUCH this is a really small pic and I'd like to be able to show my Uke girl, but she's 100x100...

100x100 is a pretty common forum size...

Thanks for your consideration...

Last edited:
FYI: Your avatar will get scaled down to the proper size once you upload it in your profile, and it will look fine.

You can resize it yourself to 80 pixels tall with any photo software and it MAY look better. one such program which is free and runs on Mac/Win/Linux/FreeBSD is called GIMP and is very similar to Photoshop.

https://www.gimp.org/

Or you can use this site, which will resize for you, as well as perform other enhancements:

http://picresize.com/

I have seen conversations saying that many folks here are bothered by avatars that are taller than the header block with your name that appears above your posts, and other folks are bothered by huge forum signature areas, but both can be disabled from showing for each person under the SETTINGS area, which you can get to from the top right area of every page on the site, in order enable or disable display of these items.

The main objection is they say that they are forced to scroll too much, which I do not understand, because the mouse has a wheel that by default will do the scrolling (grabbing the vertical slider to scroll was the only way back in the 90's before the invention of the scroll wheel on a mouse), and pressing the spacebar will scroll one full screen page automatically on ALL modern browsers, so it must be the folks who do not like scrolling on a phone or tablet because they have to 'flick' up more often to scroll 'down' a web page.

I did try to make it 80 x 80 and it was only 3.6kb big and it wouldn't get accepted at this size, it got scaled down to 50x 50...

I'm a Linux geek and I am using Gimp... ;)

Look at my avatar, you'll see it gets scaled to 50x50, I've tried different sizes, nothing works...

You sure the forum settings have not changed?

Profile Settings Says;
100 by 100 pixels or 24.4 KB

50 by 50 pixels or 19.5 KB

Hmm

Last edited:
I'm a Linux user as well (Xubuntu 16.04 right now)...

I've resized your original image that you attached to your first post.

First down to 80x80px, and then also 64x64px, and enclosed them here at those native resolutions.

Right-click to save-as on your local hard drive and then try them as your avatar and see if it works as intended...

80px version:

rsz-80px_hula_uke.jpg

64px version:

rsz-64px_hula_uke.jpg

Please let me know if this gets you closer to what you are trying to do, and if not, we can try something else.

I am happy to help further if necessary. :)

Thanks for the try, they don't work and I did try various sizes and weights.

The Avatar size is locked in at 50x50, what does it say in your Settings for the Avatar?

Maybe they allowed a larger size before, it doesn't seem so now...

By the way, these resized images that we can see on the post, how did you add them in to the post? I've tried adding as an image, and attachment, nothing works to allow me to display an image. This forum doesn't like me! LOL :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the try, they don't work and I did try various sizes and weights.

The Avatar size is locked in at 50x50, what does it say in your Settings for the Avatar?

Maybe they allowed a larger size before, it doesn't seem so now...

By the way, these resized images that we can see on the post, how did you add them in to the post? I've tried adding as an image, and attachment, nothing works to allow me to display an image. This forum doesn't like me! LOL :(

My avatar was resized to 80x60px prior to upload and if I look at the PAGE info in Firefox, in the media tab it is rendering as 80x60px an 6.7k...

In order to NOT have images as attachments you need to have them hosted somewhere else and put a link to them. I sometimes use imgur, but the ones above are on my own web site, but the process of displaying them as native resolution instead of thumbnails is to use the BBCODE (similar to HTML or PHP) to embed full size.

if you put [ img ]url://to.your.photo/some_image.png[ /img ]

but without the spaces after and before the img and /img tag, i.e., [img and /img] it will display the image at native resolution.

I had to write it like that with spaces otherwise VBulletin (the forum software) will parse it as image embed codes for my example.

in my settings >> edit avatar

it says:

Use Custom Avatar

Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website:
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer:

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

The limitation of 50x50 that you see, might because you are a new member as shown 'junior member' but once you have made 101 posts to the forum that will show as 'senior member' and maybe the feature is unlocked at that point for a larger avatar...

or

For me it may be different because I opted to sign up as UU VIP which means that I am a paid member ($50/yr IIRC) to help support this site instead of just as a free member, and there are some features you get for doing so, but I dont recall if one of them is to have a larger avatar...

you can see from the SUPPORT THE FORUM program link above, which brings you to:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Ways-to-Support-this-Forum-and-Keep-it-around

After I replied, I was then wondering everything you mentioned, about posting the image to a forum post and the avatar size...

bbcode I know, imgur I use, forums limiting new member, etc...

Thanks

You can also link to a hosted site of all your uke pics in your signature. I put my pics in the album section of my profile.

You can also link to a hosted site of all your uke pics in your signature. I put my pics in the album section of my profile.

I'm talking about the Avatar, linked from a site, or uploaded from the pc, I can only use 50 x 50.

Maybe I get some more posts, I'll be able to use it bigger. :)

I'm talking about the Avatar, linked from a site, or uploaded from the pc, I can only use 50 x 50.

Maybe I get some more posts, I'll be able to use it bigger. :)

My mistake, I thought you were wanting a way to show off your uke.

My mistake, I thought you were wanting a way to show off your uke.

Laura -

Please never have regrets for offering assistance. I've always found your posts on UU to be thoughtful and born out of kindness.

Mahalo and kudos to for your contributions here on UU. :)

Top Bottom