Fat Bodied Sopranos

I've owned both and then Kinnard is larger and deeper bodied. Don't know exact dimensions.

In #9 I suggest that the Kinnard's lower bout is 7-1/2", but that's an estimate based on scaling dimensions off of photographs and I only repeat the comment in case that helps anyone.

I've come to believe that 'fat bodied' is a rather arbitrary term which is maybe not that helpful - I'd retitle the thread if I could - and that fuller bodied would have been better. As an easy visual guide and a rough definition I suggest that the 'fat bodied' (include fuller bodied too) have a lower bout width equal to or greater than half of their scale length (ie the distance from the 12th fret to the saddle).

Examples:
I believe that the current Kala KA-P Pineaple might be 7" wide (the 'new' figure eights are) but at 6-13/16" my old (?) KA-P does have a body width equal to half its scale length, so I'll consider them both (and the 'new' figure eights) to be 'fuller bodied'.
Mahalo's Les Paul Soprano has (per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soprano-U...-Shape-Ukelele-Gig-Bag-in-Black-/291344385152) a lower bout of 7-1/4" and a scale length of 13-3/4" so it passes the 'fat body' test. As far as I know they don't sound great - please check for yourself, I think them one example of a large body not being a good indicator of a great sound - but for just £37, inc UK delivery (Amazon), I'm not sure that any one should expect them too.

I'm still just wondering what's out there in the way of larger bodied Sopranos and, as before, all additional details of any and every make and model will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Top Bottom