Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointless Rosettes

Default Jointless Rosettes

I used to make these on the lathe by laminating a tube...but that was a bit hit and miss..I now do them another way..I did a post on this method last year, but thanks to Photobucket all that info has now gone forever So now it will have to be a trade secret.
    PICT0021 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

There are only three possibilities: butt, mitre and scarf. Even if you spiral them it's effectively a scarf.
    BTW. I call them a closed ring rosette.

I remember the post, but I'll keep your secret Ken!

They are difficult to get perfect (or near perfect). Then again it's something that few players would notice, unless the joints are very poor. It's more a pride thing for the maker. Of course if you cover that part with the fretboard you're home and dry. Much easier.

lct1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    I remember the post, but I'll keep your secret Ken!
    OK I'll share I hate secrets ...Yes! it's scarf joints Michael...I have a jig to cut the strips to the correct length and angle for the scarf (and i do spiral them).. but then I glue them up first in a Teflon block with a rosette channel cut into it the same size as the uke channel, this way I can adjust any minor errors at an early stage...when i'm satisfied that no joins are visible and the glue is cured, I remove it in one piece and fit it to the uke top...sounds like lot of fiddling about but it dosn't take long to do..and it's very satisfying, as I once had a uke returned co's a joint was showing on a white ring the complainant(Nitpicker) said "that once it was noticed his eye was drawn to it every time he opened the case".
    Last edited by Timbuck; 09-02-2017 at 01:40 AM.

Actually Ken, that's not what I was thinking about. I seem to remember the use of a suitable diameter drain pipe, sliced up. Or have I read that elsewhere?

Could this be done in bulk, similar to the way classical guitar rosettes are made? Make a long WBW tube and slice off rosettes?
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    Could this be done in bulk, similar to the way classical guitar rosettes are made? Make a long WBW tube and slice off rosettes?
    I used to do em that way..but this way gives me what I'm after..the joints still show with the tube method.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    OK I'll share I hate secrets ...Yes! it's scarf joints Michael...I have a jig to cut the strips to the correct length and angle for the scarf (and i do spiral them).. but then I glue them up first in a Teflon block with a rosette channel cut into it the same size as the uke channel, this way I can adjust any minor errors at an early stage...when i'm satisfied that no joins are visible and the glue is cured, I remove it in one piece and fit it to the uke top...sounds like lot of fiddling about but it dosn't take long to do..and it's very satisfying, as I once had a uke returned co's a joint was showing on a white ring the complainant(Nitpicker) said "that once it was noticed his eye was drawn to it every time he opened the case".
    I've seen many examples on relatively expensive guitars where the joints are easily visible. It's not an easy thing to do. . . unless you know how to do it. In my experience there's an awful lot that don't.
    They can be done in bulk and sliced off. The one that I showed was done that way. I think I got six out of the glue up.

Since I don't build sopranos, I don't have to worry about gaps since the fretboard is going to cover up that area. I once thought about trying a perfect join at that spot and then I thought: Why? Because perfection is perfection even if it can't be seen. Then I thought that is seriously obsessive. The nice part about this area is that it is one of the few areas on an uke that imperfection doesn't matter. I like that. (By the way note the pencil register line I forgot to erase on the back center. Doh! That I will remove.

DSCN7911.jpg

Thread Information