Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointless Rosettes

It is obsessive. In some ways we are driven to that obsessiveness, after all how is one going to stand out from the rest in a world that is full of makers? The bar just keeps getting set higher. I've seen it happen in my own lifetime. It kind of ends up with instruments that look as though they've been made by machine, with finishes so highly polished that they could be used to observe Pluto. The only makers who seem to buck the trend are the violin lot and that's only because the golden age of violin making was 350+ years ago. They are much more concerned with style over any rigid perfectionism, at least in a woodworking sense. Of course it's not just any old style though, there's a type of perfectionism to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. View Post
    I've seen many examples on relatively expensive guitars where the joints are easily visible. It's not an easy thing to do. . . unless you know how to do it. In my experience there's an awful lot that don't.
    They can be done in bulk and sliced off. The one that I showed was done that way. I think I got six out of the glue up.
    That's excellent work Michael i'd like to see the process.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

It was done a long time ago Ken, more than 10 years ago and I haven't made that style of rosette since. I know I made it on a former. I've made similar one off types, which were joined in the rosette channel of the soundboard, rather than made separate and then inlaid.
    The technique that I used was to overlap the veneer and cut through that overlap with a scalpel, scarf cut. it's virtually the same idea as the wallpaper joint.
    That's the only way that I could reliably get near invisible joints. I've also done them by nibbling away until it fits. That can work too but it's a bit hit and miss, might take a few attempts until it's 'good enough'.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. View Post
    It was done a long time ago Ken, more than 10 years ago and I haven't made that style of rosette since. I know I made it on a former. I've made similar one off types, which were joined in the rosette channel of the soundboard, rather than made separate and then inlaid.
    The technique that I used was to overlap the veneer and cut through that overlap with a scalpel, scarf cut. it's virtually the same idea as the wallpaper joint.
    That's the only way that I could reliably get near invisible joints. I've also done them by nibbling away until it fits. That can work too but it's a bit hit and miss, might take a few attempts until it's 'good enough'.
    Yes! I do the nibbling as well....take a fraction too much off and youve got a gap. so then you make another strip and start again
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Thread Information