Any UUers victims of Hurricane Harvey?

I'm in San Juan right now. Hurricane Irma is barreling down on us and if it stays on track it hits us Late Wednesday or early Thursday. We are supposed to fly back to Iowa on Thursday. We are all hoping it turns back out to sea before it hits the Leeward Islands. Maybe if it doesnt, it will stall out there. Maybe it will be nice and sunny in Thursday and we just get on the plane and fly home. We don't know at this point. But I filled my six emergency gallon jugs with fresh drinking water, bought a loaf of bread, a jar of chunky peanut butter, six cans of sliced fruit, two bottles of rum, six pack of Coca Colas, and I have a ukulele. If we get hit, we will have a hurricane party with live entertainment. But I'm betting that at the last minute it will turn.

1:15 We just got the 48hr warning. At this point, if it is going to hit us, I hope it comes through fast and doesn't stall on us.

Last edited:
Best of luck to you, Rllink. We're in South Florida, and spending today thinning out the trees in the front yard before tomorrow's bulk organic pickup, just in case...

bratsche

Hope you get a miss on Irma, Rlink. My wife has work colleagues in Puerto Rico and we have been watching the storm track with interest. Of course living in the Florida panhandle we are very concerned it will get into the Gulf of Mexico. Here's hoping it takes a hard turn to the North. And misses everyone.

I hope that Rlink updates us when possible. (Probably no access to do so right now?)
And, to all those in the path of Irma, please keep safe, and update us when you can.

My buddy who's an RN just returned from Texas. They were able to help out. She lives in Tallahassee.
I hope Rollie was able to hunker down, sip rum, and play the heck outta that uke!
I hope we hear from him soon.

Last edited:
We are okay. No water or electric since Wednesday afternoon when it hit. This has been my first chance at a connection. Gotta love starbucks, they are one of the first places to open. Anyway, gotta conserve batteries. Good luck to Florida. We are hoping for water and electric today. Hoping to get out of here on Monday.

9:00 tonight we are at the corner bar drinking iced beers by candle, and all the lights came on. We finished our beers and walked home. We have electric, water, AC is still working even though it was torn from its mounts and is leaning up against a knee wall on the roof, internet is working. Three days ago we were a war zone. Tonight, we are back to business as usual. I'll sleep good tonight. Take care Florida. Hunker down.

I love this post!
So glad to hear!

9:00 tonight we are at the corner bar drinking iced beers by candle, and all the lights came on. We finished our beers and walked home. We have electric, water, AC is still working even though it was torn from its mounts and is leaning up against a knee wall on the roof, internet is working. Three days ago we were a war zone. Tonight, we are back to business as usual. I'll sleep good tonight. Take care Florida. Hunker down.

Still thinking of those impacted by Harvey who will need our thoughts, help and support for a long time to come!

Yet also thinking of Nickie in Tampa and all in the path of Irma. Hoping everyone in its path is either evacuated or bunkered-in. Be safe!

Still thinking of those impacted by Harvey who will need our thoughts, help and support for a long time to come!

Yet also thinking of Nickie in Tampa and all in the path of Irma. Hoping everyone in its path is either evacuated or bunkered-in. Be safe!

I know it could be years before people recover from Harvey, and the same will be true for Irma.
Thoughts are with all those impacted.

For those in Irma's path, please update us when you can. Hoping that you and yours will stay safe.

I live on the FL East coast. Praying for folks in the rest of the state who are not getting what we originally thought we'd get. A little water leaking into the house at the foundation of my Son's house on the mainland were we evacuated to. Going to have to get that fixed quick as soon as this thing passes. Also praying you and all your ukes will come through this ok.

Top Bottom