Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs that justify E

Default Songs that justify E

I'm going to be teaching some ukulele classes and we'll be covering the E chord (and several of the tricks/variants/downright cheats that can be used). But I'm thinking... if I'm going to make them play E, I'd better make them feel like it's worth it, right? In other words, give them a couple really good songs that depend on E.

So that's my question: What would you say are the absolutely best (in your own humble opinion, of course) songs that of necessity use the E chord?

What are the songs that make the effort worthwhile?

BONUS QUESTION: Same thing for Eb.

(And of course there are ways to just avoid E entirely, like transposing for instance. But that just evades the question (and sometimes creates other problems).)
    Rich Holmes
    Syracuse, NY
    Caramel acacia sopranino / Kala lacewood soprano / Makala Dolphin (metallic blue) soprano / Grizzly soprano /
    Epiphone Les Paul concert / Islander mahogany tenor / Lanikai mahogany baritone
    Twitter | Google+ | Blog/web site | Salt City Ukulele | SyraUke

1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins. It was the song that really got me to work on the open-stringed E chord because of that transition from E maj 7 to E. https://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-son...ke-tab-19.html

I think it is very individual.
    What makes it worth it is that particular song that you just really badly want to learn. And that is not the the same song.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Yes, it's individual. So what, for you as an individual, was that song?
    Rich Holmes
    Syracuse, NY
    Caramel acacia sopranino / Kala lacewood soprano / Makala Dolphin (metallic blue) soprano / Grizzly soprano /

Yes what Bill1 told, plus also any song that is already in E-key to start with. Not so many as C is maybe the most popular key.
    We are not talking about guitar blues as that is not imo an ukulele thing. If blues maybe an other key on uke

Doctroid, teach them also 1x02 fingering, my fave with index finger muting the C-string.

Because I am new to ukulele, I also just today learned 4320 for non barre B7.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 09-02-2017 at 03:08 AM.

OK fine. This is what I hate about forums: When you ask a simple question and the replies you get are "I'm not going to answer your question, instead I'm going to tell you what to do." Fine. Forget it.
    Rich Holmes
    Syracuse, NY

Sweet Pea by Amos Lee really got my left hand working on the E chord as well as some other tough ones.

https://ukutabs.com/a/amos-lee/sweet-pea/
    Main players:

Soprano: Laughlin 2K | Maui Music Deluxe Mango

Concert: Collings UC2 | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple | Blackbird Clara

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

For me it was Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under the Bridge. If I want to play the intro I need to not transpose it (or I run out of frets on my soprano uke) so it was a great one for seeing the value of the E chord!

This thread speaks to the fundamental issue of why you DON'T want to transpose sometimes. It can change the voicings and just not sound right. The licks or embellishments may fall less comfortably to play. But also certain keys have a tonal characteristic that you lose by transposing to a different key, so transposing isn't always the best option. Anyway, your thread got me thinking about what songs really need that E and my first thought was something bluesy. How 'bout "Nobody knows you" in G aka Clapton style. You need that E, then the E7.
    Last edited by bunnyf; 09-02-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctroid View Post
    Yes, it's individual. So what, for you as an individual, was that song?
    I remember struggling with the E chord on Bob Dylan's "One more cup of coffee", But I reckon that few people desire to learn that particular song.
    I guess that going through some Beatles songs or something else popular at campfires, looking for E chords, will be worth while. I don't have a song book handy though.
    Sorry for posting without any good suggestions.

Edit:
    Just found this cool webpage though:
    http://www.songkeyfinder.com/songs-i...e-major?page=2
    Last edited by UkingViking; 09-02-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information