Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songs that justify E

Why is Beatles so favored in this forum. I like their songs to listen, but to play along? Or what key, really? Or to play their songs just with ukulele with no other?

Their tuning was a bit off from what we tune our instruments and play:
    http://www.beatlesnews.com/blog/the-...t-of-tune.html

There is no justification...ever. There...I said it. ha ha
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Why is Beatles so favored in this forum.
    Shows us what to think of your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Shows us what to think of your opinions.
    Oh a big fan I guess? Or just a violent person?

I was just trying some constructive criticism, instead too hard to judge what I like too about their music. I guess for some people their songs are a religion.

I love the Beatles...even in E
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Oh a big fan I guess? Or just a violent person?

I was just trying some constructive criticism, instead too hard to judge what I like too about their music. I guess for some people their songs are a religion.
    It wasn't constructive criticism. Don't forget, we read your other posts, too—same kind of thing.

Justification? I think the OP asked the question the wrong way but by all means teach some songs in the Key of E. The key of E is important if you want to play popular guitar songs in their native key.

I transpose to E all the time because it suits my voice but I can't say it has a special sound to me. My case is somewhat different though because I'm not in standard tuning. I tune mostly E,A,C#,F#. This effectively is guitar tuning or baritone tuning with a capo on the second fret and then I just play ukulele G shapes or guitar D shapes. Guess what? LOTS of guitar songs that you may want to cover are guitarists playing D shapes with a capo on second fret so therefore in E.

Anyway. It would be a good learning exercise to teach students that its possible to take a song in many keys and transpose them to E to see if it suits their voices in E. A lesson in transposing.

E is also common because its fairly easy on guitar. Its A in standard ukulele tuning.

Smile

Hi, Doctroid!

The second part and third part of Departure Suite by Jake Shimabukuro are written on the key of E. This song is one of the favorite songs in the album of Travels. This second part is my favorite tune to play. Part 3 may be bit difficult to play but part 1, which is not key of E, and 2 are worth to try in your class.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

In my life - Beatles uses the Eb chord IIRC
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Some songs can end up in some uncommon keys. The thing you need to know is that, these songs in odd keys usually were NOT played on standard tuning instruments. Using a capo to transpose is REALY common on guitars. Different tunings is pretty common too.

Now there maybe some really good studio musicians in the world that can use bar chords and play in any key they like at a moments notice but many of the songs that your trying to play in an uncommon key weren't originally played that way without a capo.

Thread Information