Best value solid mohagany soprano?

maki66

Reaction score
UAS never ends, does it?

I'm currently saving my filthy shekels for the next ukulele.
Somehow, for some reason, I'd like to try a vintage style solid mahogany soprano.
I've been looking at Mainland Ukuleles, Bushman, Ohana sk-28.
Possibly something better if I can find it used.

Any thoughts, advice, rants, or raves welcome!

A used Martin S1 would fit the bill nicely. I got mine here on UU and never regretted it.

Any Martin soprano.

Depends on how much you want to pay, several people on here have the Ohana, some have Kala, whilst others have Mainland &/or others.
Much of the sound depends on the strings fitted also.
I have a long neck Ohana solid mahogany, in fact I have two, one is tenor scale, the other is concert scale, I like them. :)

Bushman!? Really? that's interesting.

Favilla Soprano. Used to be called a "poor Man's Martin" but many professional musicians back in the day like them better than Martins'. They have a very bluesy, smokey sound to them.

I'll be predictably myself and recommend Kiwaya. If you don't want to save for one of their solids, I've not heard anything but good about their laminates.

Mainland .

~$200

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...5ED7B37A60857151E.p3plqscsfapp006?productId=8

CMM-SG%2001.jpg

I'll be predictably myself and recommend Kiwaya. If you don't want to save for one of their solids, I've not heard anything but good about their laminates.

Yeah, I agree. While they are a bit more pricey, they are beautifully built and play great. Fantastic instruments

I'd bide my time and look around for a vintage Martin or Favilla. Nothing quite has that vintage Hog bark like old mahogany and they will hold their value, unlike one of the newer brands that are all just trying to get that vintage look and sound.

You can also consider Gibson, Gretsch, Lyon and Healy as well as some of the Harmony and Regal instruments.

UAS never ends, does it?

I'm currently saving my filthy shekels for the next ukulele.
Somehow, for some reason, I'd like to try a vintage style solid mahogany soprano.
I've been looking at Mainland Ukuleles, Bushman, Ohana sk-28.
Possibly something better if I can find it used.

Any thoughts, advice, rants, or raves welcome!

Maybe not quite what your looking for but the standard Brüko's are amazing value, just change the strings to match your preferences. After that Mr Timms makes some fabulous stuff, if difficult to get hold of and typically double or more the price.

Last edited:
I have become an advocate of Mainland as I have had both a concert and a tenor. However I am tending to more vintage instruments. I have now a vintage Kamaka gold label and a Martin SO from about 1934. I found these as repaired instruments and love them, though the Kamaka wins over the Martin in terms of what I reach for.

The modern instrument that I love is a Mele pineapple. I like the more subtle tone from the shape. It is Koa top with Mahogany back and sides. They are offering a gorgeous mahogany jumbo soprano for $299 and I have been tempted. However I have just bought a used Martin OXK for travel as the reviews are consistently good - I wanted an HPL instrument. There goes my budget for a while!

What has been fun is joining a larger ukulele community here in Southern Vermont and getting to know the instruments that they play. There are no stores to test them out in with a reasonable distance. Besides the people are great.

Solid wood is my preference always and don't be afraid to buy used. Mele, Martin and Mainland being my choices.

FWIW I paid around $200 each for the vintage instruments and then put some $$$ into helping them become great players.

Last edited:
I have to agree w others about mainland being best option for solid mahogany and price. As well as cedar rosewood combination.

However I have to say the no-name Teton makes a fabulous solid mahogany (I have the ts30 soprano) it is about $140 or $150 total if you deal right on reverb. They discontinued making ukes which is unfortunate so they are hard to find.

I play and practice on mine everyday for almost a year now

I am in the Mainland camp. I have a tenor mahogany, my wife has a concert and my daughter just bought a Mainland mango baritone this summer. I believe in supporting good folks like Mike and Tootka and they are great instruments.

Top Bottom