Uke' Lei Sling

DaisyUke

Reaction score
I'm a couple months into learning the Uke. My Uke sometimes slips when playing so I'm looking into a strap of some sort. I don't have a strap hook, so I'm looking at no-drill options. I just found something called a 'Uke' Lei Sling' on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201160...Graph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share
and I wondered if anyone has tried it. I am really leery about attaching tape to the back of my Uke. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Last edited:
a very simple and non-invasive way to add some support is, if you have a classic figure-of-eight shape uke body, to tie some string or cord or webbing or some such thing, around the waist of the uke, take it up around you like a regular rock and roll style guitar strap, and on to the headstock, where you can tie it across the headstock either close to the nut, or between the tuners.

I'd be inclined to agree with that. Instead I'd recommend having an ordinary strap button installed.

I agree. A 1/8" hole in the butt-end and into the tail-block inside is going to cause the least damage to the instrument as opposed to some adhesive holding a velcro strip or any kind of 3M foam mounting squares.

Adhesives can interact with the finish of an instrument if/when you might want to remove it, and then you have another problem to deal with that will usually require having a professional luthier look at it, and that kind of work is expensive due to the level of finesse and expertise involved, yet seldom yields a 'perfect' match in the end result unless you have the entire instrument refinished, which again, is even more expensive.

The HUG STRAP (linked in the thread in my post above) is a fancy version of what BEVOMU suggested above, in that it goes around the waiste of the uke, and then around the headstock area, and is very secure.

I had a chance to demo them last weekend at the NJ Uke Fest and met the creator, Melissa, who makes each strap by hand, herself, and my young 12-yr old companion bought one immediately upon seeing the HUG STRAP, and he LOVES it.

OTOH, I personally like something smaller (thinner and more minimalist), which I've detailed in the linked thread as mentioned above.

You might also want to check out my Uke Leash. You can do the around the waist loop just like the shoestring/ Uke hug, but you can also use it to balance the uke so the neck stays steady, without the awkward playing angle the "waist method" sometimes creates. See my links in my signature.
–Lori

I'm a couple months into learning the Uke. My Uke sometimes slips when playing so I'm looking into a strap of some sort. I don't have a strap hook, so I'm looking at no-drill options. I just found something called a 'Uke' Lei Sling' on Etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/201160...Graph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share
and I wondered if anyone has tried it. I am really leery about attaching tape to the back of my Uke. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Hi Daisy,

My invention, the Mobius Strap, is exactly created to solve your problem! It gives truly hands-free support with no modifications to your ukulele. You can check it out at http://www.mobiusstrap.com/.

Top Bottom