Recommendations for C string on my uke?

Driven247

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to everything uke, stringed instrument, and well, anything musical besides listening.

2 days ago I brought home a new Mainland long neck soprano pineapple in solid red cedar and rosewood (?).

As I practice strumming, I've noticed the C string seems to drown out the others. It's becomming distracting to me. I've searched here and eleswhere, and a string swap seems to be a common suggestion.

Any recommendations for my particular uke? I wad told it currently has Aquila strings.

Thanks in advance!

I usually put (Living Water) flourocarbon strings, (low G), on my better ukes. :)

Depending on where you live, you may have some easier options, others will suggest other alternatives.

I have a similar problem with my cedar topped tenor with D'Addario Carbons (EJ99T). I tried using an E string from a Phd set as I found that a lesser diameter string reduces the issue. Not sure if it works all that well but it does help. I found that you have to moderate the strum a little on the third string to eliminate it. I'm still working on that as it is very tricky to do.

I would do a complete string change to flurocarbon strings. My favorites are Oasis strings. They come in warm or bright and there is length enough for two sets. Another good set is Martin M600s. They are fairly inexpensive and easy to find.

Hi Driven247,

The Aqulia Nylgut are warmer and the C does have the lower end sound to it, I found it to be the same on my Uke, drowning out other tones.

Flurocarbon might be the way to go as others have suggested.

One thing to keep in mind, not sure what others might suggest, but I went on a string buying hunt, and I realized I was swapping out strings to fast, I didn't let them settle in enough. Make sure you keep them on for a few days at least, maybe others might have some different thoughts here, but from what I've learned, if you don't leave them on for a few days to stretch and settle in, you don't get a feel for the real tone. Like you don't want to put on a set of strings and then throw them out in a few hours thinking they didn't sound good.

By the way, if you find you like a more gut like tone, but want it brighter, more punch, try D'addario's Nyltech.

Have fun. :)

3rd string by nature has a more dominating sound over the other strings usually it just takes some practice to mitigate the strum or pluck on that string to have it come out in more similarity in tone w the other strings.
However if you must change to a specialized string, I recommend southcoast wound c string.

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is all a brave new world to me and a forum like this is invaluable!

Top Bottom