Best Online String Dealer?

AlohaKine

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Is there a consensus for who are the best online dealers in the USA?

At the moment I'm using stringsbymail.com

Thanks

I use both strings by mail, and strings and beyond. Both have shipped quickly without any issues. I just ordered more strings to try from strings and beyond with their free shipping promo this weekend.

If you are talking all strings, I'd say Elderly. Great prices with free shipping if you order several sets usually gets you the best deal.

If you're looking for the best strings then yes, I'd agree with Jim. Southcoast strings are amazing (but pricey).

If you're looking to sample new strings though, I always end up at Elderly Instruments - free shipping on $50 or more - but it used to be $25 (I have no problem getting a bunch and hitting that floor though!) Fast shipping from Michigan

I've shopped at different sources for different strings. I just look for the lowest price for the strings in question. Between Elderly, eBay and Amazon I usually find it. Oddly, the places that sell all or mostly strings have not been competitive for me in what I've needed.

bratsche

I'll throw a curve ball an add http://www.totalmusicsource.com/. They always seem to have the "Low G" set I'm looking for. I've also had good luck with stringsbymail .

I use string by mail almost exclusively and I order often. Their service is excellent and fast, love the personal note on each order. If something is on back order they send it as soon as they have it withzero shipping cost. They ship flat rate of under $2.00 for as many a 6 sets of strings to Canada. This is rare for us Canadians, we usually get dinged bad on shipping.

My votes go to : Strings by Mail for a la carte string combos and HMS for the packaged sets.

Buy from the place that has the ones you want.

I've used primarily Strings By Mail ($3.99 flat rate shipping any size order in USA) for their wider selection and Strings and Beyond for their free shipping (often they have a special of no minimum order amount, as opposed to the $35 minimum order which is their regular threshold)

And if you like fluorocarbon strings, don’t forget about Ken Middleton’s Living Water Strings, which have to be ordered via mail (there may be a shop or two with some in stock, but that is not common).

Still now, some years later, it seems that Uke Republic is still the only US dealer for Living Water strings:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/living-water-ukulele-fluorocarbon-strings

A few times I bought strings from eBay simply because they were not available anywhere else for some odd sets (usually due to being out of productions, like ORCAS black fluoro strings), but that source seems to have dried up over the past year.

I've used primarily Strings By Mail ($3.99 flat rate shipping any size order in USA) for their wider selection and Strings and Beyond for their free shipping (often they have a special of no minimum order amount, as opposed to the $35 minimum order which is their regular threshold)

Still now, some years later, it seems that Uke Republic is still the only US dealer for Living Water strings:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/living-water-ukulele-fluorocarbon-strings

A few times I bought strings from eBay simply because they were not available anywhere else for some odd sets (usually due to being out of productions, like ORCAS black fluoro strings), but that source seems to have dried up over the past year.

Fremont Blackline seem to be identical to ORCAS black flouros to my ear. The ORCAS were standard on my Imua. Only the Blacklines got me back to that crisp, clear voice.

And if you like fluorocarbon strings, don’t forget about Ken Middleton’s Living Water Strings, which have to be ordered via mail (there may be a shop or two with some in stock, but that is not common).
Uke Republic carries Living Waters strings. I recently received some from them, and they came pretty quick. I ordered two sets of concert strings and received one set. The other is on backorder.

I've ordered strings from Uke Republic, Strings by Mail, and Daniel Ho (PHD strings). I was very happy with all of them.

I order them straight from Ken. Shipping is £3 (~$4) for as many sets as you want and the cost for the sets is the same.

Same. The only advantage of local availability would be that I'd have them within one or two days instead of having to wait a week or so. I just order new ones when I'm down to one pack. It's also a nice way to support Ken.

Top Bottom