SOTU 290 - Farm Aid/September

Hi Seasonistas!

We've been missing in action for way too long. We moved to a new house, Ashley started nursing school and a 2nd job, the new school year started etc. etc. Things just got out of control and we didn't have much time for ukulele playing and singing.

I've wanted to come back to Seasons for a few weeks now, (be glad I didn't last week. I had a Mariah Carey song ready) but every time I got a little bit of time, something came up. I decided, though, that THIS was the week. I was going to play something and no matter how crappy it turned out, I was going to post it. I've really missed this community the last few months.

Anyways, Gin Blossoms played Farm Aid in 1994. Rumor has it that if you listen to this song while watching an episode of Friends at the same time, you get physically transported back in time to the 90's. I haven't tried it, though.

Daniel Lanois appeared in 2003...pardon my French...

I was so pleased when I saw Alabama Shakes on that list. I absolutely adore that band. Their songs are deceptively tricky though and very hard to convey with just one uke.

Here's my favourite of theirs, because I can completely relate to the sentiment behind it.

Last edited:
And here's another Alabama Shakes song. An absolutely gorgeous song that I'm totally not doing justice here.

It time for me to hit the sack. I have really enjoyed every song that has come in today. So far we have had 58 songs come in. I think that is really good at the end of tuesday. So many more songs to be had. I really appreciate you all grabbing onto this theme :)

I will see you all tomorrow morning!

Merle Haggard was in the first line up of Farm Aid. Here is a mangled version of his classic The Bottle Let Me Down.

This is my first effort to join in here. I have not sorted out how to create a video and tie my recording to it, so I will post a dropbox link for now. This is a Shake Russell song called Deep in the West. Waylon Jennings did a couple recordings of this song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f96xbv1a4o1p7az/SOTU #290 Deep In The West.wav?dl=0
hello! and welcome to the seasons! that was GREAT!

i've made some "videos" that just have the audio of me and my uke, palying over just the title of the vid, or a still photo, or some other non uke-y video footage - skies, bees, film clips, whatevs... just an idea for getting something that can go on youtube, and onto the playlist, i think alot of people view vids via the playlist, just a thought :music:

Hey, thanks birds eye!

I've seen that kind of video, just never made a video of anything on a computer, so I am not sure where to start. I'm using a macbook pro, is there a mac compatible app or something that I can make the video with? I read the directions on how to host, but I did not see any instructions on how to get my .wav or mp3 file to play over a video.

Never felt more like singing the news (Yank and Pull/riuhtaise ja vedä)

John Lennon sang some articles from the News of the world newspaper and I thought
it would be a challenge to sing something from a Finnish newspaper. This article covers
the "yank and pull" handshake employed by Donald Trump.
The Lennon song is a rarity and you can listen to it here.
John Lennon ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING BOB DYLAN."News of the world"

Last edited:
Hey, thanks birds eye!

I've seen that kind of video, just never made a video of anything on a computer, so I am not sure where to start. I'm using a macbook pro, is there a mac compatible app or something that I can make the video with? I read the directions on how to host, but I did not see any instructions on how to get my .wav or mp3 file to play over a video.

I record most of my video's on my MacBook with Quicktime Player (what's in a name ;)), which should be on your MacBook already also. If you open that you have New Movie Recording under File. It will normally also record the sound with the builtin microphone which is actually not bad.
I then normally edit that video with iMovie (which should also be on your Mac). You can add any externally recorded audio there. Just be sure to add a short clap or something to align to at the start.
And then I add some reverb and stuff with Garageband 6.0.5, but you can skip that step and have a perfectly decent video.
It should be possible with the current Garageband Version but I don't like what Apple did with it after 6.0.5, so I'm still sticking with that ;-).
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I record most of my video's on my MacBook with Quicktime Player (what's in a name ;)), which should be on your MacBook already also. If you open that you have New Movie Recording under File. It will normally also record the sound with the builtin microphone which is actually not bad.
I then normally edit that video with iMovie (which should also be on your Mac). You can add any externally recorded audio there. Just be sure to add a short clap or something to align to at the start.
And then I add some reverb and stuff with Garageband 6.0.5, but you can skip that step and have a perfectly decent video.
It should be possible with the current Garageband Version but I don't like what Apple did with it after 6.0.5, so I'm still sticking with that ;-).
Hope that helps.

Thanks Xommen!

I was able to get a still photo combined with the audio in Imovie, but it seems like Imovie is not the ideal app for this. My small window of free time is up for now, but I will try your recommended approach on next song.

Oh my goodness Kevin, I have been talking to a professional musician and didn't even know it. Beautiful playing and what a vocal you got there. Love your strumming. I am sure you can make a cheap plastic uke sounds just as beautiful.
I heard you are good but didn't know you are that good.
You blew me away! Love the song choice too. Bravo. I need to subscribe to your channel !
IMovie is easy to use. Just shoot me an email if you need assistance.

Hello again, Linda! I have brought you an owl! The connection is slightly tenuous; Judy Collins appeared in the 1986 Farm Aid Concert. "Send in the Clowns", a song which she made famous, featured in the Stephen Sondheim musical "A Little Night Music"; and what provides a little night music ... owls, of course!

Taj Mahal covers this Lightnin Hopkins song so well.
Taj has performed at Farm Aid.
Some of my own verses here.
Floods in South Asia have killed thousands and destroyed millions of homes....

Top Bottom