SOTU 290 - Farm Aid/September

I was going to comment on You Tube but it appears you have comments turned off?

Really good Mezcalero, voice and playing. Welcome to UU and SOTU.

If you click on the 'filmstrip' up above you then can load the URL into the thread and get a video embedded in your post.
ha! we were posting at the exact same time!

i managed to comment on the vid ok, so did a couple of other people - mebbe give it another go???

original

A lot of production went into this, and I decided against trying to video myself doing anything--too difficult. So I made a lyric video instead.

an original song for you Linda.
huge thanks to joo for making the awesome art for this.

The Spin Doctors played Farm Aid in 1994 (I believe the other song I did this week was from that year, too. Weird.) This was the fifth song on their set. There are a lot of mistakes here, but it was the best take, after I went back and watched them all after my arm fell off. It's not great, but it was a lot of fun.

I did this one kind of quickly tonight because I wanted to get in a song about forest fires, which we had big problems with when I was growing up. The 8N tractor makes another appearance. Commentary after the song.

Everyone on the school bus that day
Could see the smoke from miles away
That's when I heard the bus driver say
There's a fire at Longhorn

Walking home was always rough
But that day it was especially tough
Knowing I could never get there fast enough
To stop that fire at Longhorn

We ain't go no VFD
Daddy said "Son, it's just you and me
That fire's coming fast and it's eating those trees"
Fire at Longhorn

Well neighbors came from all over the place
Sweat streaks on their smoke stained faces
With wet tow sacks and shovels they raced
To fight that fire at Longhorn

We fought it all day and into the night
Wherever we could see the fire's light
Daddy said, "If we plow a break we might
Just stop that fire at Longhorn"

We ain't go no VFD
We formed a line against those trees
Shoveling dirt wherever we could see
That fire at Longhorn

We started up the old 8N
Hitched up the plow and headed in
To a place where the trees were a little more thin

That old tractor didn't have no headlights
Daddy plowed throught the trees in the darkest night
While I sat on the front end with a big flashlight

We didn't have no VFD
But folks came from all over as far as you could see
With shovels and rakes all among the trees
We stopped that fire at Longhorn

It took me a little over 6 hours to get here. Ive played with the kids, got all my duty instructions for the next 6 days, ate dinner, visited with my daughter and listened to you all. A great day if you ask me. Im worn out and ready for bed now.

Ill see you tomorrow :)

Well here is my first song for the season. Poorly played on my Caramel CP-100 Pocket uke. The little bugger is hard to play and it only is staying in tune for about 15 minutes with the new strings. I know you all will forgive my inability to deal with this little instrument and my singing. My thanks for your acceptance.

Amazing Grace performed by the Farm Aid's Willy Nelson.

Here is my take on "If it makes you happy"

And I hope it will!

The Blasters played the first two Farm Aids. Check their videos from those shows. Man, they were smokin'!

Blaster Phil Alvin wrote this one for his solo album County Fair 2000 and played it with the incarnation of The Blasters that was around in the late '90s. I did this for Season 164. I hope I've improved a bit since then. At least it's in a key I can approximate!

SOTU 290: Farm Aid/September - TAKE A LITTLE WALK WITH ME - ddanner (2017)

Originally, I started writing this song with a narrator telling you that there was a boy on a farm and a girl nearby, etc., etc. Well, that quickly proved to be a dumb idea, and I don't think Linda is that strict on her Rules ! Just imagine a young couple that happen to live on nearby, neighboring farms to each other.

I wrote this to be sung as a duet, but Evelyn and I are on differing schedules this week, so I had to go it alone. This is my first solo performed "Duet." Ya never know what new challenge the Seasons will bring forth! :)

Hope you enjoy:

++++++++++ Lyrics & Chords in Chordpro Format +++++++++++
{title: TAKE A LITTLE WALK WITH ME - Dennis Danner (2017)}
{subtitle: Written: 09.08.2017}

Intro:
| [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D7] / / / / |
| [G] / / / / | [A] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / |

Verse 1 - GUY:
{soc}
| [D]Won't you take a little | [D]walk with me? | [D]A little bitty stroll with your | [D7] liberties, . . You |
| [G]Never know | [A]what we'll find to | [D]do! . . . | [D] . . . . |
| [D]We could walk to the | [D] swimmin hole | [D] Turn our backs to take | [D7]off our clothes. |
| [G]Jump on in, and | [A] race to the other | [D] side! . . . | [D] . . . . |
{eoc}

Verse 2 - GAL:
| [D] If I take this little | [D] walk with you, | [D] what exactly | [D7] might you do, To |
| [G] Make me take your | [A] hand . . in | [D]mine? . . . | [D] . . . I |
| [D] Really do wanna | [D] walk with you, and | [D] see a whole lot | [D7] more of you, but |
| [G] I'm not sure you'll | [A] always find the | [D] time! . . . | [D] . . . . |

Break:
| [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D7] / / / / |
| [G] / / / / | [A] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [D] / / / / |

Verse 3 - GUY:
{soc}
| [D] We could walk to the | [D] old levee, and | [D] lay on a blanket with the | [D7] sky to see. And, |
| [G] Discover all the | [A] cloud shapes, rolling | [D] by. . . . | [D] . . . Or, |
| [D] Stroll on down to the | [D] country store, | [D] steal a little kiss then | [D7] ask for more. Maybe |
| [G] Buy you something | [A] sweet you really | [D] like! . . . | [D] . . . . |
{eoc}

Verse 4 - GAL:
| [D] All that sounds mighty | [D] fine to me, but I'm | [D] not quite sure you | [D7] answered me. |
| [G] What all your in - | [A]tentions . might | [D] be? . . . | [D] . . . . |
| [D] If I take this | [D] walk with you? | [D] I'm a little bit scared of what | [D7] we might do? |
| [G] Would we want to | [A] walk that path a - | [D]gain? . . . | [D] . . . . |

Verse 5 - GUY:
{soc}
Well, | [D] Ever since I | [D] first met you | [D] that is all I've | [D7] wanted to do! I |
| [G] Think about you | [A] all - l - l the | [D] time . . . | [D] . . . My |
| [D] Heart pounds so when I | [D] talk with you, | [D] that is why I want to | [D7] walk with you, |
| [G] And, now I know you | [A] feel the same way | [D] too? . . . | [D] . . . . |
{eoc}

Verse 5 - TOGETHER:
| [D] I really do want to | [D] walk with you, and | [D] see just what | [D7] we might do, and |
| [G] Now I know you | [A] feel the same way | [D] too! . . . | [D] . . . . |
| [D] We both know Love's | [D] in our hearts, and a | [D] long, long walk is a - | [D7] bout to start! I'd |
| [G] Love . . to | [A] walk . . with | [D] You! . . . | [D] . . Yes, I'd |

| [G] Lo - v - v - e | [G] . . . to | [A] Wa - l - l - lk | [A] . . . with | [D] YOU! . . . | [D] / ^ /

+end+

Season 290. Submission 2. "Wallflower" (Written by Bob Dylan, 1971)

Linda, I've just recently fallen in love with this song (as in yesterday :) ). It doesn't sound like many of Dylan's other songs, for sure. Dylan performed at the first Farm Aid Concert and many credit him as suggesting there be a Farm Aid when he was performing at a Live Aid Concert.

Yay! We made it with number 2 for this week! It's a little bit rough in patches, but we had fun practicing together. Matisyahu played at the Farm Aid concert in 2007.

Didn't do my best but I hope it isn't a waste of time to listen to. I think I did alright considering it was a one day project to try to memorize.

for some reason the speed of my playing greatly increased when entering it in my DAW. Oh well, here is my best effort despite this.

This has been a really great week of music. We've had some real fine quality songs come in by all of you. There is still seven hours of time left here until the close of the week so if you have anything else you want to share I'll have a listen in the morning.

Have a good time with the new season. Ive put my few seconds in over there and now I will be playing with kids. I have to get them up early for school so Im off to bed soon....I can't remember the last time Ive tried to sleep this early. Im sure I will spend several hours willing myself to sleep which makes me anxious and then wide awake!

Wish me luck. I need it!

Top Bottom