SOTU 290 - Farm Aid/September

Having already played songs by Willie Nelson and Neil Young for past Seasons, I had to go for John Mellencamp. And I couldn't resist this one.

I've been trying to learn to read music, still not too good at it, but here's one I tried from notation. :)

Georgia On My Mind - Willie Nelson - Farm Aid 2016

(Uke is a Kala KA-T with classical guitar strings.)

Dale Watson is as authentic as you'll find. He played at least one Farm Aid. Here's one with cicada accompaniment. (Stateside, you'll see him make a brief appearance in the new Coca-Cola 'Hamburger' commercial. He's the white-haired guy with the pompadour.)

Willie Nelson recorded "September Song" by Kurt Weill and Maxwell Anderson in 1978. Here is an instrumental version with vid, featuring the "city cows" of ancient native Eastern Finncattle breed. The cows graze the meadows by the sea every summer in Espoo, the second largest city in Finland.

Here's one Steve Earle has performed on Farm Aid a few times, and it's one of his best songs ever imo.

Hello gang,

I was planning to make a few comments at the end of last night and didn't get to it. Its nearly noon here today and Im feeling much better! I wanted to thank all of you who started this week off with so many great songs. Its been a mighty fine ride so far :)

Last edited:

Hi Linda! My favourite song by Lou Reed, who appeared in the initial "Farm Aid" concert on 22nd September, 1985 in Illinois. I have attempted to add an "agricultural" touch with the accompanying photos and there is a particularly "rural" contribution by Clemmie, the dog, who was sitting beside me and decided to join in at 2.30.

thank you for hosting the week, Linda.
this is an Eddie Hinton song the
Drive-By Truckers recorded on their Go Go Boots LP.

Wilco played at Farm Aid a few times. They also worked with Billy Bragg to arrange and record a selection of Woody Guthrie's unrecorded songs. This one's just right for for today in all sorts of ways. Happy Labor Day, USA!

Cover #3

Recorded outside. I have used this song before, but only as part of a medley. And of course, this is a new recording.

The Jayhawks played at the 1993 Farm Aid. They're still around, and put out a good album last year. The single "Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces" was my favorite song on the album.

Top Bottom