SOTU 290 - Farm Aid/September

Sorry to bother you Linda but I don't see a link to the YT playlist anywhere :-(

I know Linda said you can do anything by any of the artists that have played Farm Aid over the years, but if you're looking for inspiration, Farm Aid have their own YT channel, with videos of pretty much every single performance from 2016 all the way back to 1985:
https://www.youtube.com/user/farmaid/videos
great link, thanks paul, i just had a look and listen to the farm aid performance of the top secret but unfeasibly obvious song i wanna do this week!

I think she was about to then Richard Gere came on in uniform and carried her off somewhere.....
gosh, that happens to me too, ALL THE TIME, i'm just about to start recording a vid for the seasons and BAM there's richard gere picking me up (he's been working out, specially :p) and carrying me away. heaven knows how i manage to still do about a hundred vids a week :rolleyes:

Linda, I've written a song that might not fit, unless you want to count deja vus all over again. My song is called Harvey Tried To Conquer Texas. This might be a stretch, but Harvey did wash out a lot of Texas farmers and ranchers. They do need aid, and this is September. But if the song doesn't fit, my feelings won't be hurt!

I think this one fits Linda's excellent theme for this week quite well. A Marty Stuart and Merle Haggard duet, who both have appeared at Farm Aid, written by Marty Stuart and his wife Connie Smith.

great link, thanks paul, i just had a look and listen to the farm aid performance of the top secret but unfeasibly obvious song i wanna do this week!

gosh, that happens to me too, ALL THE TIME, i'm just about to start recording a vid for the seasons and BAM there's richard gere picking me up (he's been working out, specially :p) and carrying me away. heaven knows how i manage to still do about a hundred vids a week :rolleyes:

Multitasking? :D

You had me at Willie!
There's something for everyone here! Already got 2 songs that I'm looking at. I'm confident that I'll get at least one of them done (planning something a bit tricky for the second, so it might not make it).
looking forward to what ever you bring Robin!
There's no answer to that!
Thats exactly what I thought but the words would come out!
Hey! Pa's dumped the ZZ Top look!
The old Pa will be showing up this week, I promise!

Escalation is the name of the game.
Anything you can do I can do worse.
:smileybounce:
And he did!
I know Linda said you can do anything by any of the artists that have played Farm Aid over the years, but if you're looking for inspiration, Farm Aid have their own YT channel, with videos of pretty much every single performance from 2016 all the way back to 1985:
https://www.youtube.com/user/farmaid/videos
This is a great find Paul. I will link that in the OP. Thank You!
Sounds like a fun and rewarding Season, Linda! Hope I can catch up enough on life to get back into the Swing of the Seasons! Retired life seems to be getting more and more hectic!

I really love that special part of Arizona and the towns like Greer, that sit along the Mogollon Rim. I'd love to visit there again. Maybe in a song? What's the reason you singled out barn owls in your theme description? Was it just to use the phrase, "would be a hoot" and they are a common resident around farms? Aren't bears a more common memory of your Greer cabin? - d
I would love a visit Dennis even if it is only in song.
Go check out the prediction on the anticipation thread. Its Owlways a hoot over there :)
Sorry to bother you Linda but I don't see a link to the YT playlist anywhere :-(
Playlist are up and running now.
I can't wait for the unfeasible obvious!
gosh, that happens to me too, ALL THE TIME, i'm just about to start recording a vid for the seasons and BAM there's richard gere picking me up (he's been working out, specially :p) and carrying me away. heaven knows how i manage to still do about a hundred vids a week
So thats where you were................
Linda, I've written a song that might not fit, unless you want to count deja vus all over again. My song is called Harvey Tried To Conquer Texas. This might be a stretch, but Harvey did wash out a lot of Texas farmers and ranchers. They do need aid, and this is September. But if the song doesn't fit, my feelings won't be hurt!
Bring it along Bruce. Throw a little hoot in for good measure :)

Here's my favorite Dwight Yoakam song off his iconic debut album, "Guitars, Cadilllacs, Etc. Etc." from 1986. This was my 2nd take.

Fantastic start to my morning!
Im all caught up so far.
Make sure I add you to the playlist this week. I often mess that up!
Ill check in again later :)
Keep it up gang!

Well I guess you can count this one as a cover or an original since it's a parody and I wrote all new lyrics. I've had it in my head to make a parody of this song that makes fun of the original song ever since I heard it for the first time when I was a little boy, because it always sounded so stupid and I didn't like it. Where is this farm (I used to think) where you get to stop working just because it's getting dark? Wouldn't that be something wonderful! John Denver sang it but he didn't write it. It was written by a member of his backup band, probably while he was smoking some primo stuff.

A few explanations:
power take-off - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_take-off
the old 8N - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_N-Series_tractor
pull a calf - http://www.wikihow.com/Help-a-Cow-Give-Birth

Well life on the farm is a lotta hard work
The cows are all stupid and the bull is a jerk
Working all day while the city boys smirk
Don't wanna be a country boy

Well a simple kinda life nearly killed me one day
Cleaning out the barn and slinging some hay
Stuck the pitchfork in my foot and nearly bled away

(chorus)
I got a pocket knife and a stick I can whittle
My wife is okay she can cook me some vittles
The stove is broke so we gotta use a griddle

Well the work's never done but the sun's going down
Gotta pull-start the truck and head into town
Need to buy some more staples 'fore that fence comes unwound

Well I'd sit and watch Netflix every day if I could
But we're out in the country where the signal ain't too good
Winter's coming anyway, I gotta chop some firewood

(chorus)

I'd trade places with you as easy as you please
Yeah I'm begging you down on bended knees
Buy this farm from me and let me live a life of ease

Yeah, city folks driving a Mercedes Benz
Wish I could buy a new tractor every now and then
I need to fix the power take-off on the old 8N

(chorus)

This post hole digger was my daddy's 'til the day he died
Then he took me by the hand, held me close to his side
Said, "Be sure and don't place them fence posts too wide"

My daddy taught me young how to pull a calf
How to find a mama cow down in the back half
And guard her through the night while the coyotes laugh

(chorus)
I got a pocket knife and a stick I can whittle
My wife is okay she can cook me some vittles
The stove is outta propane so we gotta use a griddle

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of John Mayer and he was in at least one of the Farm Aid concerts. This is my favorite song from his new album.

Multitasking? :D
lol! yes, that must be it!

I can't wait for the unfeasibly obvious!
here ya go

heart of gold by neil young

there is some debate over in the youtube comments for this instrument's debut vid, about whether it is a uke or a plain old slightly short cbg. slightly short 4 string geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetars are bari ukes in my tiny mind................. unless of course they are tenor guitars :rolleyes: but this one fits in my bari uke gig bag so i'm calling it a bari :uhoh: feel free not to call it a bari, linda, and kick it firmly off the thread!

I had picked out this song yesterday because I've played it a lot for my own enjoyment, and practiced it a few more times. Then about 5 o'clock this morning I woke up thinking, "Reggae!" I already know from past experience that I can't keep up that reggae backbeat and sing at the same time without another rhythm of some kind to keep me from getting lost, so I used ChordPulse to lay down some bass & drums. I think this old country song would sound pretty good as a reggae piece, if it were done by an actual reggae musician.

I mentioned that The Avett Brothers had performed in one of the more recent Farm Aid shows. Turns out they haven't, but they are on the bill for this year's show which is in two weeks. So yeah, I think I'm good?

David Allan Coe has appeared at Farm Aid multiple times, and this one of his songs that fits this weeks theme well. I sorta put my own arrangement to this one, some of it on the fly here! lol This could have used some more takes, but I kept this one.

Last edited:
It's Labor Day weekend here in the states, so I finally found a bunch of extra time to really jam out :)
All Those Dreams - Neil Young (from 2014's Storytone)

Top Bottom