SOTU 290 - Farm Aid/September

Season 290. Submission 1. "Spanish Harlem" (Written by Jerry Lieber and Phil Spector, produced by Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller and released by Ben E. King in 1960)

Linda, Rebecca Pidgeon, a singer, songwriter and actress performed at the 2011 Farm Aid concert in Kansas City. She has notably covered this great song.

I'm playing some tenor guitar and some 6 string tenor uke here.

Thank you for hosting this terrific week, Linda!

Last edited:
original

I could probably write several songs just about stuff that happened with this tractor, but I guess this song is a good overview.

It was thirty years old, but it was new to us
The finest of Ford's tractor line
Back in nineteen thirty-nine

Don't crank it with too much gas, or it'll flood
Just turn it down to that chalk mark, it'll start good
Push that thumb start down nice and firm
Hold it 'til that starter burns
But don't crank it with too much gas, or it'll flood

We got a half ton of milo to grind
That PTO is slow, but it'll do just fine
Just back off a little if that grinder belt starts to whine

Well the starter's gone out, we gotta pull start it again
Yeah the starter's gone out, we gotta pull start it again
That little pickup's gonna feel some pain
But don't start too fast, or you'll break the chain
Yeah the starter's gone out, we gotta pull start it again

The shredder's too big, it lifts the front wheels off the ground
If you take off too fast, it'll lift the front wheels right off the ground
It's almost too much for that tractor to take
But you can steer it with the rear wheel brakes
Yeah if you start too fast, it lifts the front wheels right off the ground

It's small and it's slow, this 8N Ford
But it's the best tractor we can afford
Just fill it up with gas, and say a prayer, oh Lord

Well lightnin' struck where that big hickory grew
We gotta dig out the stump where that big old hickory grew
It sounded like we were gonna explode her
Popped a hydraulic seal on the front-end loader
Ohhhh...we got them 8N blues

Gonna get a new tractor someday
That's what he always say
If we can get the bank to float a
Loan for maybe a new Kubota

This is my first effort to join in here. I have not sorted out how to create a video and tie my recording to it, so I will post a dropbox link for now. This is a Shake Russell song called Deep in the West. Waylon Jennings did a couple recordings of this song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f96xbv1a4o1p7az/SOTU #290 Deep In The West.wav?dl=0

Excellent! The uke playing, your vocal quality, the overall sound quality of the recording, some of the best I've ever heard. And another Texan!

Both Asleep At The Wheel and Willie Nelson (duh) performed at Farm Aid on multiple occasions. They also recorded this old Spade Cooley song on their album, "Willie And The Wheel."

I'm pretty sure Willie has played this gig, too

Last one for me this week. More Jack White, this time in the form of the Raconteurs. Haven't played this song in years, was nice to be able to revisit it

Im off to bed. I will see you all tomorrow. Thanks for all the music today gang! Its been a good day :)

Im off to bed. I will see you all tomorrow. Thanks for all the music today gang! Its been a good day :)
Hi Linda,

You seem to have missed one of my videos off the playlist. It's call " I Found You" and was posted roughly this time yesterday, just after Rise to the Sun

Oh what a beautiful day. Farmers like everybody else are at the mercy of the weather.
When the weather is good so is your mood.

- - - another Mickey Newbury song I like. How I Love Them Old Songs.

If this song hits you the way it does me, feel free to do your own version, bringing your special sound to it!

One of the greatest threats to the family owned small farm tradition has been the rise of "big farming" - this has been disastrous for small farmers and even more disastrous for the animals caught up in the move from caring for animals to processing them. If I were not already vegetarian, the cruelty I have read about recently involved in these massive "factory farms" (as well as the pollution they cause) would have made me one.

Anyway, here is my diatribe against the Monsanto & Co approach to feeding us.

PS No idea why the video ended up with those black bars on the side. I closed it and when I opened it again to finish it the format had been changed and I knew I wouldn't have time to re-do it if I started again from scratch. :(

Last edited:
We interrupt this broadcast to over live to a very wet campsite in the Lake District, North West England. Actually, this was recorded in the back of the van yesterday, but it has taken a day to get it to upload, even after reducing the quality. Anyway, it's one of John Hiatt's little gems.

First of all...if you are on Twitter, please go here and retweet this video. If you're feeling especially nervy, quote-tweeting it and tagging @marty_walsh (the Boston mayor) and @BostonParksDept would be especially appreciated. I'm trying to get on the bill at the Boston Christmas Tree lighting and I need all the signal boosts I can get.

I first heard this song on The Muppet Show when I was a kid. It's still the first thing I think of when I think of Randy Newman. Of course I had to put my own spin on it...wish I brought my top hat to work!

Hi Linda,

You seem to have missed one of my videos off the playlist. It's call " I Found You" and was posted roughly this time yesterday, just after Rise to the Sun

Thank You. Fixed it. Told ya I'd mess that up!

It's been a busy week so this is the first real chance I've had to record something for this season and it's also the last chance as I've a busy weekend coming up. I haven't really had chance to look much up and find a new (to me) song and learn it so I've done something I know already. This is still a new recording today. John Denver played a number of Farm Aid concerts and this is the title track from one of my favourite albums.

Greetings from the Garden State!

An original for farm week, a song about the Jersey Tomato and the planting I did with my father as a child. Hope you get to enjoy some fresh Jersey's real soon. Words should be in the description.

Ciao

Top Bottom