Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Top and Back Clamping Method: Not Happy

Very elegant, should work in my very small shop.

Well that is darn near ingenious. It gives me ideas for other clamping chores and one could make them small for smaller applications. Always can use that special clamp where nothing else quite works... Also probably good for clamping tops and backs. I think that this particular operation does not need a lot of pressure to be strong. I think I tend to over clamp these joins a bit and maybe starve things a bit. The spool clamp can exert a tremendous amount of clamping pressure. Maybe way more than needed. The spring clamp might be just right.

There are perhaps better ways of clamping than what I do but I was never happy with my spool clamping system and several years ago switched to the down and dirty rubber band method (with a couple of clamps at either end of the body). You can see I modified my old spool clamp solera board. I like attaching the back with the neck temporarily attached, ensuring that my geometry is perfect. The body is clamped to the board through the sound hole. I use 5" X 1/2" rubber bands which can be had for about $5 per box of 100. The pegs are simply finish nails covered with surgical tubing. (I would've used dowels if I had some on hand at the time.) Nothing fancy but it's quick and easy and works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moore Bettah Ukuleles; 09-06-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    There are perhaps better ways of clamping than what I do but I was never happy with my spool clamping system and several years ago switched to the down and dirty rubber band method (with a couple of clamps at either end of the body). You can see I modified my old spool clamp solar board. I like attaching the back with the neck temporarily attached, ensuring that my geometry is perfect. I use 5" X 1/2" rubber bands which can be had for about $5 per box of 100. The pegs are simply finish nails covered with surgical tubing. (I would've used dowels if I had some on hand at the time.) Nothing fancy but it's quick and easy and works well.
    Oh, I like this idea! I may have to try this one out. Thanks, Chuck!

That's similar to my method, except I use one long length of surgical tubing, one end tied to one of the protruding nails, the rest just zigzagged over the nails.

Bob

What I like about that set-up is the spool clamps in adjustable slots with square ended clamps. Lots of room for adjustment. One of the problems with my system is that there is only 3/16 of an inch wiggle room between the top/back and the bolt which doesn't leave me much waste to play with on the overhang. I have this horrible fear of cutting too close to the sides before I glue and then discovering I cut too close. Hello ruined top or back!

To those that use the rubber band, or go bar deck method (chuck, pegasus etc), how do you combat glue squeeze out when it is face down???

Default One-clamp plate press

Here's my press for clamping uke plates to the ribs. I have interchangeable cauls for flat and radiused plates. First photo is the basic press. Second is a tenor in its mold waiting for the top to be pressed on. Third is the loaded press. The circular cauls are the same dishes that were used to radius or flatten the ribs/plates. I never had any problems, but I've gone to using a rubbery router mat between the plate to be glued and caul to make sure the joint is tight all the way around. Mine is built right on a bench top, but a bottom could be added to the press to make it portable just to move it out of the way when not in use.

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    To those that use the rubber band, or go bar deck method (chuck, pegasus etc), how do you combat glue squeeze out when it is face down???
    Beau, if you're getting squeeze out you're using way too much glue. There's a trick to it, but if you're still spreading glue with a finger tip you'll never figure it out.

How do you spread glue?

Thread Information