New Top and Back Clamping Method: Not Happy

before the glue up I use a scrap of 220 grit paper to break the inside edges of the lining. That little round over is enough to hide a skosh of squeeze out.

I'm intrigued by that John, but I don't understand what you mean by "breaking the inside edges of the lining". Do you mean going into each kerf with the sandpaper and sanding back a bit or....???

I'm intrigued by that John, but I don't understand what you mean by "breaking the inside edges of the lining". Do you mean going into each kerf with the sandpaper and sanding back a bit or....???

No. I meant the interior edge of the lining, opposite of the rib.

Funny you mention that- i've started to do that but my reason was to try to minimise possible telegraphing of the hard edge of the linings - i thin my edges quite a lot.

This is the type of roller i was thinking some used:
http://www.rockler.com/rockler-8-oz-glue-bottle-with-glue-roller

Never used it, but it looks way too big for he job at hand. Plus, cleaning the roller after use looks time consuming. I just plop my brush into the coffee cup full of water that is part of my glue kit and forget about until next time.

I've also seen vids of a classical guitar maker who lays down a bead of glue and then spreads it with a little foam dauber on a stick that sorta reminded me of cheese-on-a-toothpick horses doovers. It looked very sophisticated, just the sort of tool a snooty classical guitar maker would enjoy.

Below is my new clamping method using spool clamps in a mold. I kinda made this up as I went and I'm sure it has been used before but I am not liking the method at all. My main problem with it is the time and effort involved. Way too much work. There are 22 spool clamps involved there which means 22 butterfly nuts and... If you count the back and the top that is 44 clamping operations. Boring! Slow! Not fun!

On the plus side it does a champion job of clamping the edge joins, but there is a level to my patience. Going to re-think this design. Ken posted his clamping method with a cam sort of thing going on. Much better and now I get why it is a good idea.

View attachment 102763

Carr-Lane quick acting knobs are what you need. (from an old tool and die maker)

https://www.carrlane.com/en-us/prod...r-prong-knobs-screw-clamps/quick-acting-knobs

Here we go.... please use a brush. I get very little or no squeeze out. If you hold the component to the light to inspect you have an even film of glue it shoudl be fine. But what do `I know? I'm British :)

I gave up using the term 'cramps' because it didn't translate well across the pond...

Finally, a thread on this forum where posters disagree about glue. :D

I've noticed that people feel very strongly about gluing things. It is important I'll agree. What usually happens in these discussions is that the hide glue guys chime in and the aliphatic resin guys chime in and then things get... sticky. Then there was the post about a person who built an uke entirely with CA glue. I will concede that using a finger to spread CA glue is probably not a good idea.

I have wanted to try this for years but I have never come across any suitable box springs. The ones I have found are really wimpy. Maybe they don't make them like they did back in the day.

Top Bottom