Send help, im new and think my A string sounds weeeeeiiird

Harvi

Reaction score
Ey

So I got a luna great wave uke yesterday because im a sucker for artsy looking stuff so I decided screw it and bought it instantly with no prior knowledge of how to play the uke or guitar.

Anyway, im having this is with my A string because to me it sounds alot lower than it should, i've heard countless vidoes on people tuning their A string and mine is a very low mellow tone where as others have a higher sound. So yeah was just wondering if im crazy or if theres actually something wrong with my strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AvUfluc1_M&feature=youtu.be

Theres a link to a quick recording I just did, I emphasise the A string to make it a tad more obvious. Also sorry for the peaking auido, did this while on the train home so was a tad lazy :cool:

Your A string is an octave too low. The tuner will tell you it's tuned to A, because it is. Tune it tighter until the tuner tells you it's A again.

^ This guy, ta for the help I do feel like a complete idiot but dam am I glad it was me going crazy. Thanks for your help bud!

^ This guy, ta for the help I do feel like a complete idiot but dam am I glad it was me going crazy. Thanks for your help bud!
You don't know what you don't know.
Never be afraid to ask if you have any question.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Your A string is an octave too low. The tuner will tell you it's tuned to A, because it is. Tune it tighter until the tuner tells you it's A again.

I think this has happened to all of us!
Welcome to the forums

Some on-line tuner apps make a noise at the right pitch. So search for an on-line A = 440Hz tone audio source. This is the right noise for the A string, it will help you get into the right octave.
yes your A string needs to be ~440hz (and not ~220hz), and here is a good online tuner you can use for all 4 strings:

https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-tuner

Assuming that you have the 'G' string tuned correctly, if you fret it at the second, that's what your 'A' string should sound like. Welcome to the community. Have fun!

John Colter.

I think it was Ukulele Ike back in the 1920's used to tune his A string low. It makes for an interesting sound but you need the correct, thicker string.

I have tuned the A string low by mistake before now then ....

Doh! and tuned it up. Easily done

I have a 6 string with hi-lo A strings and it does create a different sound.

Top Bottom