Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Ukulele in the works

Default Taylor Ukulele in the works

Reading this morning in the Q&A section of 'Wood and Steel' that the Taylor Guitars is working on a ukulele. Anyone else as intrigued as I am?
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Tenor
    2008 Ko'olau C-1 Concert
    Koaloha KSM-02 Soprano
    Blackbird Farallon

They've made them before, though I think it was a special, limited run with uke and matching guitar.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Taylor is great at producing instruments that are easy to play and sound nice. I am interested in what they come up with. I wonder what end of the market they are aiming for...

Quote Originally Posted by etudes View Post
    Reading this morning in the Q&A section of 'Wood and Steel' that the Taylor Guitars is working on a ukulele. Anyone else as intrigued as I am?
    Do they give any details at all? Size? Price range? Estimated time frame for when they'll be in the market? How bad my UAS will be when we get the details? :-)

This one was from 2012...not too shabby!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tayl...TM9-tsIE_2BPM:
    Ask NOT what your country can do for Uke...ask what Uke can do for your country.

It would be cool if they did. My brother has a couple of Taylor guitars he really likes

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Do they give any details at all? Size? Price range? Estimated time frame for when they'll be in the market? How bad my UAS will be when we get the details? :-)
    Bob Taylor was replying to a question and his comments were short but he mentioned the difficulty in competing with low priced ukes. His final comment was "We have two things in our favor now to entice us to make a ukulele: One the market has really grown, and two, we have small wood, too small for guitars. So I'm happy to say your wish will come true.."
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Tenor
    2008 Ko'olau C-1 Concert
    Koaloha KSM-02 Soprano
    Blackbird Farallon

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    This one was from 2012...not too shabby!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tayl...TM9-tsIE_2BPM:
    I haven't seen that- it looks like a beauty.

Got the opportunity to briefly own and play a Taylor mahogany tenor from one of those 2012 reserve sets this past year. It had nice tone but did not in rank in my top 10 ukes. The pore fill had reacted to cause pimples all over the finish. Not a keeper. Seems Taylor would be a little late to the ukulele party if they brought them out now. Since Collings stopped making ukuleles, maybe Taylor could fill the gap (if there is a gap).
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Well maybe they will get it right second time round. They do have a big name in guitars but as we have seen in the past that doesn't mean they are ukulele savvy. I'm sure they will get a lot of lookers and sell some but to me you have to have a sustained plan for ukulele market beyond just having a lot of small wood around. No disrespect intended. We've see Larivee come back in the market. I've never played one but was interested due to the name. Perhaps if Taylor ukes were in quantity at Taylor guitar dealer A person might be able to play one. Guitar dealers have a different mentality. They want to sell guitars. Now if Taylor made a nice series of ukuleles and had people like HMS, Uke Republic, MIMs, Elderly etc , ( fill in you Uke dealers name) who were serious about ukulele and didn't solely depend on their guitar dealers........ well who know. I would welcome the opportunity to try one and then see.

Thread Information