Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Non Standard Uke Thread

I like odd things. My Zither Heaven ukes fit that description. Zither tuning pins, floating bridge, 10 frets that are of a rubbery material, narrow neck, and skinny profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

Zither Heaven - slimline solid body, zero fret, & caterpillar, what's not to like.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I like things to be different as well. Quite a few of mine are unique. My favorite being the one I made from a plastic ham box and an old banjomandouke (: Here's my hamalele. It will sound so much better if I ever get around to putting an actual WOOD soundboard on there...this one is cardboard! I'm impressed with the intonation for my first build, uh, many years ago.

Damn it! Temptation got the better of me.

Just ordered a Mahalo Electric Surfboard uke, (nylon strung).
    Not sure how good it will play, but a couple of online vids make it sound OK - always liked the look of them.

MyMahalo.jpg

Edit: Just to say that it is a concert scale.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 10-30-2017 at 03:01 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

this thread is an outrageous attempt to just post pics of, and links to, fabulous ukes, and make people wanna go buy them

i like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    this thread is an outrageous attempt to just post pics of, and links to, fabulous ukes, and make people wanna go buy them

i like it a lot!
    And for that, somethings you cannot just go buy... ;p lol

I'm the proud owner of U.L.O. #1, the red beauty on the left pictured below. Made in the USA by D. Heilman of BlackBearUke fame for a limited time and sold in the marketplace. Mine as described #001 - Red finish, Cedar top with a VG Fir body wood. 15 frets. Note: I believe I have the only 15 fret U.L.O. Couldn't put it down for quite awhile after I bought it. Its quite loud, very thin and has an old-timey sound with the best action straight from the gate Ive yet seen.

2016-6-28 ULO - a.jpg 2016-6-28 ULO - b.jpg 2016-6-28 ULO - c.jpg
    Last edited by Inksplosive AL; 09-07-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Then there is this concert sized uke you cannot just go buy, might not want to... lol

This uke doesnt sound or play terrible but its what we call a 10/40 in the motorcycle or car world. Looks good from 10 feet away or going by at least 40 mph. It is unique! Although there is a lot of fill around the inlays and there are quite a few things that prove its handmade.! Think I'm going to pull it out tonight see if its still playable and see what the heck song is stuck inside.

my ukulele.jpg concert back.jpg dragon-ukulele.jpg
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

Then there is this right here.

A little 20's soprano banjolele still wearing her wooden friction pegs and what appears to be the original skin. She is a tiny thing and loud as all heck. stuffing a sock in it does little to quiet this beast.

my-lil-bj.jpg

I stole this flapper girl from the internet and still kick around painting my own version of a flapper based off of this design on the skin.

flap.jpg

BTW: I have Aquila red banjolele strings sitting waiting the day I challenge changing and stretching them with the wooden tuners. You can still find these here and there but Ive only ever seen one other in as good condition and it was seriously rebuilt. Currently there is a rusted version with what looks like original Bakelite tuners on eBay for an outragious asking price... well compared to the couple C notes I have into this baby.
    Last edited by Inksplosive AL; 09-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.

A Flea, a Fluke, 6 & 8 string tenors. I don't know if the 8 string counts as a taropatch, as I've heard those are usually concert. I have the 8 string in non standard tuning: gGCCEEAA so Cstrings in unison not octaves. The 6 string is strung gcCEaA so high G and octaves on the C and A strings. Sounds great.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I have a Non-Standard Ukulele, an Epiphone Mandobird IV converted to Ukulele, now called The Ukebird.
    The Epiphone Mandobird IV was produced in 2000, now obsolete on the market, although you may still find one on the second hand market.
    It's originally an Electric 4-String Mandolin, and I've had some greatly varying opinions on this Conversion Uke so far.
    I've done a Video Review (YouTube) if anyone is interested .. The Video Review, so far has one "Like" and one "Dislike" so opinions are seemingly split 50/50 Seems Fair .. I don't expect everyone to like it.
    Nonetheless, it's my Electric Uke, a Soprano scale Electric Uke, it was a Project of mine earlier this year, after picking it up second hand from someone who had it just sitting around gathering dust in their shed over recent years.

There is also a written Review with some photos and discussion, you can find that here on UU Forums in the Review Section.

Interestingly, just today I noticed there is also a 4-String Electric Mandolin by Fender called the Mandocaster, I suppose it might be possible to do a similar conversion using one of those, so another one to keep your eye out for if interested in one of these kind of odd Uke projects ..
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 10-30-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Thread Information