Pre-fire Maui Music Koa Concert Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Over the next few weeks I'm letting a few go from the cream of my collection. I've said it before- To my mind, there is no better maker of concert ukuleles that Peter Lieberman, and this Maui Music concert is a prime example of his work.
First let me say that I have ONLY played Peter's pre-fire instruments, and make no claim of any sonic differences between the ukuleles from that period that period and his newer models (although I prefer the earlier aesthetic). I only identify them as pre-fire to give a clue to their age and to distinguish them from the retro models that Peter now builds in the old style.
I've owned and played a lot of high quality concert ukuleles, old and new. I believe that no one makes a better sounding (or playing) concert ukulele than Peter. The fact that I currently own 3 Maui Music concerts says a lot about my opinion of them.
As it happens, I need to send my son to college and replace my dying car, so it's time to re-evaluate priorities and whittle down my hoard..er... collection of ukuleles.

One of the things that sets Peter's concerts apart is the use of ladder bracing. Most builders use fan bracing on the concert size (vintage Martin concerts are built this way), and I think fan-braced concerts almost always sound tight and restrained. There are bound to be exceptions, but by-and-large this has been my personal experience. The ladder bracing (like you would find in a vintage Martin soprano) results in a more open, resonant tone. Opinions may differ on this, and I'm not opening up the floor for a luthier debate- only giving you my assessment based on a decade and a half of collecting and playing. I believe the bracing is one of the key factors that give his concerts a more responsive lower register, and a deeper, richer tone than most. They also have a ton of volume, but are very responsive to delicate strumming.

Another favorite feature of these ukuleles is the uke of a radiused fretboard. The radius on Peter's instruments makes them exceptionally easy to play, and makes barre chords a breeze. I wish all ukes made use of a radius fretboard.

This concert, like all of the Maui Music concerts I've owned, has an amazing richness and depth of tone, and rings like a bell, even high up the neck. This particular example is the fancy deluxe model with extra fancy koa used for the top, cream colored top body binding and an extra groovy rosette, including an inner-ring of abalone. There is slight bellying near the bridge, which has not changed in the years I've owned the uke, or during the time the previous owner's tenure. This type of slight bellying is a result of a top that has been thinned as far as it can safely be, and is a feature of some of the very best-sounding, lightest-built ukes.

In review, this uke is gorgeous to look at, a dream to play, and sounds amazing. I think that about covers it! As good as concert ukes get, in my honest opinion. Exquisite condition, with no cracks or repairs, and only a few of the smallest flea bite dings, as pictured.

SOLD

Paypal friends and family preferred (or you can cover the Paypal fees, if you would rather do it that way.)
I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 3:4Body6.jpg
    3:4Body6.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Full5.jpg
    Full5.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 137
  • HeadstockTuners.jpg
    HeadstockTuners.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Back3:4_1.jpg
    Back3:4_1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 101
  • LeftSide5.jpg
    LeftSide5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I meant to mention that this MM concert has a 1-piece top. I forgot to take a photo of the case (I will add it when I'm back home), but it looks like one o' these here mammer-jammers (without the flight tag).
Case2.jpg

Looks like a beauty!
What year was it built?
Has the bellying changed the angle of the saddle/bridge?
Is the shape of this one generally called a Dittson? (Still learning here!)

Tried to send a message. Your mail box is full. Thanks!

Sorry about that WCBarnes. I've emptied out some space. Would you mind trying again? Thanks!
ukeinfused- this uke was built in 2000. I'll take some close-up shots of the bridge/saddle. The action is fantastic, and nothing on this uke has changed since I've owned it. It was previously owned by two different friends of mine, and we have all loved it. It's one of those that it takes a fool to sell.

It looks like a beaut! Peter Lieberman makes some great ukuleles. I just ordered a Maui Music Tenor from The Ukulele Site. Good luck with the sale! :)

I see light bellying as a kind of asset rather than a defect, since it usually is the result of a very light build... and they almost always sound much better in comparison to a heavier built instrument. More movement in the top = better volume and sound in my experience.

Great price on a beautiful ukulele BTW.

Last edited:
It looks like a beaut! Peter Lieberman makes some great ukuleles. I just ordered a Maui Music Tenor from The Ukulele Site. Good luck with the sale!
Thanks Steedy!
If I had the money, I'd buy it.
If I had the money, I'd keep it! 8^D
I see light bellying as a kind of asset rather than a defect, since it usually is the result of a very light build... and they almost always sound much better in comparison to a heavier built instrument. More movement in the top = better volume and sound in my experience.
Great price on a beautiful ukulele BTW.
Thanks William! I'm with you on that. I can understand why bellying could give someone pause, but I see it as a good sign provided it's slight.

Last edited:
This uke is SOLD! Thanks to everyone who inquired, and thanks UU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom