Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New concert advice

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    That's the best by far! I have both a Kanile'a concert and a ko'aloha tenor. I'm a girl and I find I can play both easily. Both have very different sounds. One bright and chimmey, the other mellow and resonant and "round". Good luck and I'm eager to know what you choose!
    Good to hear from another lady uke player about the ease of play on both. Which brand is the bright/chimmey and which is the resonant/round? I have a guess based on the sound samples I've listened to, but let's see if I'm correct in my guess?

Rafter Girl, you do realize we build all wood instruments as well don't you?
    Maybe we can fix you up. Under 300 for an all wood one.

And the winner is....... KoAloha. 2005 I believe? Old style five crown koa fretboard. Living Water strings. Yes, I broke my "no gloss" rule, but it doesn't feel sticky and plastic like other gloss ukuleles I've handled. It appears to be more of a semi-gloss finish and it felt just fine. And yes, it does have friction tuners, but I don't have the heart to change those beautiful KoAloha tuners. It sounds incredible. Bright, melodic, and loud. Not nearly as "chimney" as I had thought it would be. The Kanilea definitely had a thicker, wider neck. It felt thicker than my Islander tenor, but maybe it was just more noticeable on the concert. I went back & forth between the KoAloha and the Kanilea for the better part of an hour, just playing, listening, and feeling the differences. The seller was very gracious and allowed me all the time I needed to get a good feel for both instruments. He wanted me to be 100% happy with my decision to purchase the KoAloha.

I think it's great, and I will certainly play the daylights out of it. Thanks to everyone for your guidance in my decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 09-19-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    And the winner is....... KoAloha. 2005 I believe? Old style five crown koa fretboard. Living Water strings. Yes, I broke my "no gloss" rule, but it doesn't feel sticky and plastic like other gloss ukuleles I've handled. It appears to be more of a semi-gloss finish and it felt just fine. And yes, it does have friction tuners, but I don't have the heart to change those beautiful KoAloha tuners. It sounds incredible. Bright, melodic, and loud. Not nearly as "chimney" as I had thought it would be. The Kanilea definitely had a thicker, wider neck. It felt thicker than my Islander tenor, but maybe it was just more noticeable on the concert. I went back & forth between the KoAloha and the Kanilea for the better part of an hour, just playing, listening, and feeling the differences. The seller was very gracious and allowed me all the time I needed to get a good feel for both instruments. He wanted me to be 100% happy with my decision to purchase the KoAloha.

I think it's great, and I will certainly play the daylights out of it. Thanks to everyone for your guidance in my decision.
    It looks beautiful!

You made an excellent choice. The KoAloha concert is my favorite production ukulele (by far).
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Congratulations RafterGirl, great choice! And what great luck to find such a nice one used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Congratulations RafterGirl, great choice! And what great luck to find such a nice one used.
    Agree 100%.......the fact you got to play both was very fortunate, no second guessing now. I figured out the tenor is the size for me but if I wanted a concert that is the one I would pick. I love those old tuning knobs, so cool. Congratulations
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Agree 100%.......the fact you got to play both was very fortunate, no second guessing now. I figured out the tenor is the size for me but if I wanted a concert that is the one I would pick. I love those old tuning knobs, so cool. Congratulations
    Even though the tuners are friction and I'll have to learn how to use them, I think they are way too cool to change.

Thread Information