Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New concert advice

If I had $1,000 to spend on a concert uke, I would contact Peter Hurney at Pohaku Ukuleles. I love his work. (Unfortunately I don't have enough money to take my own advice) http://www.pohakuukulele.com/

And if you are looking at KoAloha, I would think the Opio line would also be in play at about 55%-60% of the price of a Hawaiian made koa KoAloha. In either acacia or acacia with a spruce top. Is there anyone near you that would carry these, or anyone that you know that owns these that would let you try them?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Or if you are looking at about $500, I can recommend Mele ukuleles. http://meleukulele.com/

So many good choices. Mind boggling. I've been looking at options the last few days, in between being glued to the weather channel since I have family in the path of hurricane Irma in Florida. I've been playing my ukes a lot today to de-stress and also to figure out which size (1.5 or 1 3/8) I like best. Still not 100% sure, but I'm leaning towards the 1 3/8.

I sent an email to Mim about the KoAloha Pikake a few days ago, but never got a response. I love the sound of the Kanilea, but I'm not sure about the wider nut? There's a sweet looking Kanilea in Satin at Elderly.

I really like the sound of the Kala Elite Mahogany slim neck at HMS.

Two nice used ukes on UU marketplace forum and Flea Market - Pete Howlett (Koa), and Kiwaya (Mahogany).

I'll keep thinking about what I want, but it will have to wait until I see what happens with my family in Florida.

Out of the ones you mention, I'd go for the Kanilea or the KoAloha. On the latter, I'd change the friction tuners for Gotoh UPT which are much easier to use. HMS offers to change them for a small upcharge which is well worth the extra money, IMO. You'll also have free shipping from them.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - John Kinnard - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - Toby Chennell - and others

I'm re-sending my email to Mim about the KoAloha Pikake. Of the two, I'm more drawn to the sound of the Kanilea. I wish I was 100% sure I'd like the neck & nut width on the Kanilea. It's hard to spend that kind of money & possibly not like it? I do have an Islander tenor with what I assume is a similar neck & nut, and I like it ok, except for not digging the tenor size as much. Most comfortable with the 1 3/8 on my Teton & Bonanza concerts.
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 09-11-2017 at 01:49 AM.

For myself, if I played a concert, Pete Howlett's concert would be mine. A person can always find a K brand or other mass manufactured instrument but finding a custom like Mr. Howlett's is rare and going to get rarer as he retires.

Since you're in an elevated price range, perhaps it would be worth ordering from a dealer who accepts returns. Order several different and select from among them after comparing them side by side, returning the others. You'll incur shipping fees, but that might be a good investment if you'd like some assurance you're picking the best option. Also, you might add Martin to your list of possibilities.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner......well, kind of. A fellow at my uke jam tonight has a Kanilea & a KoAloha concert. He did not have them there, but he will bring them to the next jam for me to test drive. Everyone's help here on UU has been helpful to narrow down my search, but getting my hands on the ukes will be great.

That's the best by far! I have both a Kanile'a concert and a ko'aloha tenor. I'm a girl and I find I can play both easily. Both have very different sounds. One bright and chimmey, the other mellow and resonant and "round". Good luck and I'm eager to know what you choose!

Thread Information