New concert advice

That's the best by far! I have both a Kanile'a concert and a ko'aloha tenor. I'm a girl and I find I can play both easily. Both have very different sounds. One bright and chimmey, the other mellow and resonant and "round". Good luck and I'm eager to know what you choose!

Good to hear from another lady uke player about the ease of play on both. Which brand is the bright/chimmey and which is the resonant/round? I have a guess based on the sound samples I've listened to, but let's see if I'm correct in my guess?

Rafter Girl, you do realize we build all wood instruments as well don't you?
Maybe we can fix you up. Under 300 for an all wood one.

And the winner is....... KoAloha. 2005 I believe? Old style five crown koa fretboard. Living Water strings. Yes, I broke my "no gloss" rule, but it doesn't feel sticky and plastic like other gloss ukuleles I've handled. It appears to be more of a semi-gloss finish and it felt just fine. And yes, it does have friction tuners, but I don't have the heart to change those beautiful KoAloha tuners. It sounds incredible. Bright, melodic, and loud. Not nearly as "chimney" as I had thought it would be. The Kanilea definitely had a thicker, wider neck. It felt thicker than my Islander tenor, but maybe it was just more noticeable on the concert. I went back & forth between the KoAloha and the Kanilea for the better part of an hour, just playing, listening, and feeling the differences. The seller was very gracious and allowed me all the time I needed to get a good feel for both instruments. He wanted me to be 100% happy with my decision to purchase the KoAloha.

I think it's great, and I will certainly play the daylights out of it. Thanks to everyone for your guidance in my decision.

Attachments

• DSCF1489.jpg
    DSCF1489.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF1479.jpg
    DSCF1479.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF1483.jpg
    DSCF1483.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF1474.jpg
    DSCF1474.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF1487.jpg
    DSCF1487.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And the winner is....... KoAloha. 2005 I believe? Old style five crown koa fretboard. Living Water strings. Yes, I broke my "no gloss" rule, but it doesn't feel sticky and plastic like other gloss ukuleles I've handled. It appears to be more of a semi-gloss finish and it felt just fine. And yes, it does have friction tuners, but I don't have the heart to change those beautiful KoAloha tuners. It sounds incredible. Bright, melodic, and loud. Not nearly as "chimney" as I had thought it would be. The Kanilea definitely had a thicker, wider neck. It felt thicker than my Islander tenor, but maybe it was just more noticeable on the concert. I went back & forth between the KoAloha and the Kanilea for the better part of an hour, just playing, listening, and feeling the differences. The seller was very gracious and allowed me all the time I needed to get a good feel for both instruments. He wanted me to be 100% happy with my decision to purchase the KoAloha.

I think it's great, and I will certainly play the daylights out of it. Thanks to everyone for your guidance in my decision.

It looks beautiful!

Congratulations RafterGirl, great choice! And what great luck to find such a nice one used.

Congratulations RafterGirl, great choice! And what great luck to find such a nice one used.

Agree 100%.......the fact you got to play both was very fortunate, no second guessing now. I figured out the tenor is the size for me but if I wanted a concert that is the one I would pick. I love those old tuning knobs, so cool. Congratulations

Agree 100%.......the fact you got to play both was very fortunate, no second guessing now. I figured out the tenor is the size for me but if I wanted a concert that is the one I would pick. I love those old tuning knobs, so cool. Congratulations
Even though the tuners are friction and I'll have to learn how to use them, I think they are way too cool to change.

I was a tad concerned about friction tuners when I got my Koaloha concert, too. But, they're great once I got used to them and adjusted the screw just a tad so they aren't too loose or tight. Probably, changing strings provided me with a quick learning opportunity.

Thanks for sharing the decision and pics. It looks great. I wish you a long and happy life together.

I was a tad concerned about friction tuners when I got my Koaloha concert, too. But, they're great once I got used to them and adjusted the screw just a tad so they aren't too loose or tight. Probably, changing strings provided me with a quick learning opportunity.

Thanks for sharing the decision and pics. It looks great. I wish you a long and happy life together.
I've learned in the few days I've had this ukulele that it's all about finesse and restraint. A tiny nudge is all it takes. It seems to stay in tune really well and not need much adjusting.

I've learned in the few days I've had this ukulele that it's all about finesse and restraint. A tiny nudge is all it takes. It seems to stay in tune really well and not need much adjusting.

Good quality friction tuners are great. As you say a little nudge (I always think squeeze instead of turn) goes along way. I have a uke with friction tuners that stays in tune FOREVER!!!!

Top Bottom