Thread: Who doesn't love new tools?

Default Who doesn't love new tools?

I've really wanted one of Lee Valley's shooting planes for some time, and because I was in Canada all of last month, it was a prime opportunity to pick one up and carry it back in my luggage. Postage on one of these is fairly hefty as they weigh a lot.

And the assessment is? Why the heck did I wait so long! It's a pure joy to use, so easy to adjust, and I've never achieved perfect mating surfaces on even cranky figured timber so effortlessly.

Shooting Plane.jpgShooting Plane2.jpg

Wow, that is a thing of beauty!

Bob

Nice-
    Are you using this to joint tops/backs or just for smaller things??
    I've got my eye on that too- and the low angle jack plane, and #7 LN

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Nice-
    Are you using this to joint tops/backs or just for smaller things??
    I've got my eye on that too- and the low angle jack plane, and #7 LN
    Jointing tops and backs. It's replaced the conventional long jointing plane I've had for years, but was never happy with.

I have a small block plane and tiny shooting board that I have used for small end grain work I'm happy with.

Drooling. You win!

That is indeed a beautiful looking tool. 5 or 6 years ago I bought one from the Veritas dealer exhibiting at the GAL in Tacoma. He was calling it a shooting plane for jointing tops and backs. Dazzled by the beauty of the tool, I bought one. Previously I had used my old 24" Bailey plane for this job. After much experimenting with the Veritas plane, because I really wanted it to work, I was unable to get the results that I got with the Bailey. I called Veritas and they ended up chastising me by telling me that plane is designed for shooting end grain and not long grain jointing. I took a look at their website, and sure enough it says use for squaring ends. I guess that is why the blade is skewed. I sold the Veritas on eBay at almost no loss. You can buy a nice old serviceable 22" or 24" jointer plane on eBay for half the cost of the Veritas. With perhaps the addition of a Hock blade, you will get really good long grain jointing results.

Thread Information