View Poll Results: Which string material do you prefer?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always Nylon/Nylgut!

5 7.94%
  • Always Flourcarbons!

26 41.27%
  • Depends on the uke, tuning etc.

30 47.62%
  • I only tried one kind of strings

2 3.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another string thread... with a poll!

I have a somewhat cheeky answer: the best strings are the ones that came with the uke. I don't like to change the voice of my ukulele. I pre-ordered my mahogany tenor with brown Worth strings for that warm sound. With my Kamaka I use the nylon strings that came with it. Are there better strings? Most likely. However, if I changed strings then it wouldn't feel like my ukulele and it wouldn't sound like my ukulele. To be sure, I at times grouse about the stiffness of the nylon or some aspect of the carbon strings, but at the end of the day that's what relationships are all about: learning and knowing the imperfections instead of insisting on perfections.

There. since you're conducting a poll, that's my contribution.

If you change the strings on your uke you will still sound like YOU. If I change the strings on my uke I will still sound like ME.

Good discussion here, but I think that bit of context is important to remember.
    Peace,

Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

My original folk rock album, If Only, is available now!
    'Ukulele Chord Shapes - 55 pages of all the chords and know-how you'll ever need to stay found on the fretboard.

For now the flourcarbons are way ahead, almost regret buying a little bit of both in my last order.
    I am giving the Aquila carbonblacks a shot, but also bought some Aquila Lava nylgut. And some A NueNue flourcarbons to try on my tenor.

A lot of people also voted that it depends, and there are a few examples: Preferences of wound or unwound strings, bigger difference with flouros on laminates etc.
    Looking forward to more of these!
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    I have a somewhat cheeky answer: the best strings are the ones that came with the uke. I don't like to change the voice of my ukulele. I pre-ordered my mahogany tenor with brown Worth strings for that warm sound. With my Kamaka I use the nylon strings that came with it. Are there better strings? Most likely. However, if I changed strings then it wouldn't feel like my ukulele and it wouldn't sound like my ukulele. To be sure, I at times grouse about the stiffness of the nylon or some aspect of the carbon strings, but at the end of the day that's what relationships are all about: learning and knowing the imperfections instead of insisting on perfections.

There. since you're conducting a poll, that's my contribution.
    Since you're being cheeky, I'll be cheeky back

Strings wear out and there comes a time when you have to change them. What then? Sell it and buy another?

Edit to add: I generally leave the strings that come with the uke if I'm happy with the sound and there aren't any issues with them. When I do change them it's usually for fluorocarbon.

I prefer fluorocarbon because they are brighter and ring out more. From my limited experience of wound strings, I'm not keen on them either mainly because the wound strings that came with my Baritone wore very quickly. I replaced them with Living Water and once they had settled a bit they sound much better.

The difference between nylgut and fluorocarbon on my 8 string was particularly striking. It really sings now.

Of course, at the end of the day choice of strings is a personal matter and depends on the sound you are after.
    Last edited by Tootler; 09-08-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    There has been a lot of threads about which strings to choose.
    Besides high G/ low G and which brand, there is the big difference of nylon/nylgut vs floucarbons. I know that this is pretty generic.

I haven't quite decided what I prefer, so I wonder if I should string different ukes with different strings. So what goes where?

Besides taking the very shallow poll, I would like comments that specify what you believe points to one material over the other with respect to:

Tuning: high g, low G and other, flourcarbons for which?
    Playing style: strumming, picking, flourcarbons for which?
    Genre: Some genres need another sound?
    Ukulele size: My local ukulele pusher told me that flourcarbons are only for sopranos, I assume many will disagree.
    Wood type: does it matter if it is mahogany, koa or something else?

I know that there is not a simple answer to these questions, but if you feel that any of the above affects which strings you prefer, or the importance of having you favorite strings, then that parameter is what I am looking for.
    I voted strickly florocarbon but have used Aquila and nylon from time to time, not often. I like the predictability of florocarbon and the variety of brands and diameters. I use them for all the ukulele sizes and in high G or low G, linear and reentrant baritone.

For low G I like a wound G and C string then I will pair them with a florocarbon to taste. I find Worth Clear to be a nice netural sounding string. If the uke is too warm I will go with a brighter sounding string, vise versa if it is too bright.

Your local uke pusher is wrong about florocarbon for soprano only......see above.

Wood type does influence the sound as does manufacture. Again if it it too bright or too warm I can find a florocarbon string to achieve the sound I want. I have used nylon if I need really warm but not often.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I'm open minded, so I voted for "it depends". However, I have to admit that I mostly end up with some sort of fluorocarbon strings. I have Worth Brown and Clear, Oasis, Fremont Blackline or Southcoast HML and HMU on most ukes; I would probably like Living Water and PhD, too.

More delicate, and more important to me, are questions regarding wound vs. unwound strings. In reentrant tuning, I'd always want an all plain set. Ideally, from how the strings blend in together, this is also what I would prefer in linear tuning, and I do have some ukes which seem to work fine with an all unwound set like Worth or Fremont Blackline.

When a uke sounds to boomy with this setting, I use just one wound string for the fourth, very seldom two. While it does seem perfectly logical to me that the wound vs. unwound strings should be numerically balanced out, with my playing style, I find the wound third often to be too scratchy sounding.

Most of the times, I end up with a combination of three unwound and one wound string, e.g. Oasis, Worth or Southcoast HMU paired with a Fremont Soloist low G.

I've stuck with Nylguts for a while, but there is some good strings available, and this year I have put Worths Clear Flurocarbon Strings on my 8-String and personally find it better without a wound G and it generally feels softer to press and more enjoyable to play.
    I also put Worths Clear Flurocarbon Ohta JR Low G set of Strings on my Mahogany Tenor, as I've never had a Uke with low G prior other than on my 8-String Uke which had both, it's different to play but nice, I've just got to get used to it more.
    I put Aquila Reds on my laminate Zebrawood Soprano, I'll probably end up changing them again some time.
    The others have got Nylguts and I'll be changing some of them in due time although not sure which strings I'll use, and some will likely be Nylgut and some will likely be Flurocarbon, or another type.
    So during this year I'm getting more familar with some new Ukes and new Strings, and see how things go thereon ...
    I didn't play much Uke for a few years, so picking it up again this year is interesting, it's different to my former experience with Ukes a few years ago, personally and as well as that I'm seeing things, like strings, that i wasn't aware of then either, so I'm working on figuring things out in a sense of personal newukeness and stuff ...
    So, that momentarily evens up the score with a vote for "It Depends on the Uke etc"

Happy Ukeing

Has anyone tried the AGxAQ Aquila, these are quite nice...

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/03/a...e-strings.html
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

From someone with a chemistry related degree, please will you spell fluorocarbon correctly

It's F L U O R... With the U before the O.

The other way round refers to the white stuff that's used in cooking.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    From someone with a chemistry related degree, please will you spell fluorocarbon correctly

It's F L U O R... With the U before the O.

The other way round refers to the white stuff that's used in cooking.
    Sorry. I meant Fluorcarbon. The other thing must be bread rolls left for too long in the oven...
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information