New Uke player looking for advice

I really like the quality and design of Romero Creations, but they are quite different from a Hawaiian uke. Kanilea is also a lighter build. If you just want one quality uke and want this one to be "typical", then I think Kanilea would be a good way to go.

For your Islander, try tuning it to dGBE and try some D'Adarrio EG99T's on it. The strings will be lower tension and work well on Bari-Tenor tuning. Fremont Black lines Tenor and Worth Brown Fats also work well dGBE on tenors.

If you are going to keep it, this might make your playing a lot easier, and you can use guitar chord forms too.

PS: find another Luthier.

Agreed..I recently went into a well known guitar shop in Brighton to buy a uke..both ukes I tried buzzed? I was told by the sales assistant it couldn't be fixed as there was no truss rod?? Lol..he suggested I changed just to strumming only! as it wouldn't be noticeable! Lol..a bearded youth then appeared who was the shops guitar techninan and agreed with the salesman! A decent luthier should be able to sort out most problems with a ukulele.. Chances are this guy just couldn't be bothered? Most likely reason I reckon...

Hi,

I'm a new Uke player, a hack guitarist and a competent bassist, and I'm looking for a nice Uke. I bought an islander tenor a couple of weeks ago, and the action is uncomfortably high, and my local luthier wasn't able to do much about it.

I think I need an upgrade, as it really is unpleasant to play form ore than 10-15 minutes at a time. I've been plying fretted stringed instruments since 5th grade. I'm 48 now, so I know what a nice instrument feels like, but not what a nice Uke feels like. Unfortunately there isn't a great place near me to go try nice instruments before I buy.

I was considering getting a Kanilea from HMS, and hoping for the best, but then I found this site, and thought I'd do a little more research, and maybe even buy from the classifieds here.

So, I can afford a nice instrument, but am looking for getting the best quality before serious diminishing returns kick in. My plan is just to play and sing songs with my niece, not gig or record.

That said, nice balanced sound is appreciated, but playing comfort and reasonable action is my priority.

I'm looking for a tenor with a 1.5" (or larger) nut width. There is a kanilea for sale on the site here in the $700 range that is totally within budget, but not sure how much variability there is in how these things come as far as set up and playability.

Anyone have any advice how to upgrade from this $200 import to something that I will love playing?

Also, in case it matters, I'm looking for something setup for a low G and unwound G string. Living Waters perhaps?

thanks for any help understanding what I'm trying to buy.
you could try getting one made for you? I don't know where you are but if your in the states I can recommend Joel eckhaus, I have one of his ukuleles and it's incredible..and for the money I think good value.. I also own a John Claughton ukulele which is very good too! other than that..try a kremona ukulele? You won't go far wrong with one of these European made ukes..I have a kremona tenor and for the money? Staggeringly good in my opinion.. Hope this helps a bit.

Top Bottom